“New Year’s Evil” is NXT’s contribution to WWE’s first week of 2024, which the company is calling their “New Year’s Knockout Week”. To keep up with Raw “Day 1” and SmackDown “New Year’s Revolution”, Shawn Michaels & his team down in Orlando have loaded up their card for Tues., Jan. 2.
Both of their main singles titles were already set to be defended against the winners of Deadline’s Iron Survivor Challenges. Women’s champion Lyra Valkyria vs. Blair Davenport is definitely on. Trick Williams was willing to push his shot at NXT champ Ilja Dragunov if the Mad Dragon wasn’t 100% after being “injured” by Ridge Holland last week, but Dragunov took off his neck brace and signed the contract for New Year’s Evil.
The finals of the Men’s Breakout Tournament are set after Oba Femi powered his way past Tavion Heights in one semi-final, and a Trey Bearhill distraction helped Chase U’s Riley Osborne pin Lexis King in the other.
Two non-title women’s bouts will be on the show, as Roxanne Perez and Arianna Grace go one-on-one after Perez slapped the beauty queen for talking trash in the locker room on the Dec. 19 episode. And Fallon Henley & Tiffany Stratton will continue their feud in a “Servant or Ranch Hand match”, after which the loser will have to work for the winner for one day.
Plus, North American champion Dragon Lee will be joined by the LWO’s Joaquin Wilde & Cruz Del Toro to take on three members of Drew Gulak’s No Quarter Catch Crew. And we’ll hear from the man who “injured” Dragunov, Ridge Holland.
Here that all is, in video and bullet point form...
• Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Trick Williams for the NXT championship
• Lyra Valkyria (c) vs. Blair Davenport for the NXT Women’s title
• Tiffany Stratton vs. Fallon Henley in a Servant or Ranch Hand match
• Oba Femi vs. Riley Osborne in the finals of NXT Men’s Breakout Tournament (winner gets an NXT title shot)
• Arianna Grace vs. Roxanne Perez
• Dragon Lee, Joaquin Wilde & Cruz Del Toro vs. Three members of No Quarter Catch Crew (Drew Gulak, Charlie Dempsey, Damon Kemp & Myles Borne
• Interview with Ridge Holland
Sound like a good way to spend the first Tuesday night of 2024?