Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- The Western Australia tourism board who paid WWE to bring Elimination Chamber to Perth initially asked for Dwayne Johnson to appear at the show, per f4wonline. The site specifies it was only a request and there are no reports The Rock will be there.
- AEW Vice President of Live Events and Touring Rafael Morffi is leaving the company, per Fightful Select. On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said Morffi is taking a job booking acts for Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.
- Meltzer also talked about Dana Massey’s departure, saying he thought it “just got too tough” for her to stay as “she felt they [The Young Bucks] were never defended at a time when they probably should have been defended by the company.” Meltzer also thinks AEW not sticking up for Massie when CM Punk used his Instagram Story to call out an error on merch for July’s ROH Death Before Dishonor show could have been a factor in Massie’s decision.
- Before William Regal appeared in a video announcing who NXT is sending to All Japan, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that “Regal’s non-compete as far as appearing on television is just about over.” When he left AEW Regal said he wasn’t interested in appearing on television, but there’s still speculation he could take on his old old-screen authority figure role.
- WWE signed fourth generation wrestler Brogan Finlay for NXT, PW Insider reports. Fit Finlay’s son (and NJPW’s David Finlay’s brother) took part in a tryout at the Performance Center back in September.
- Insider also says Madi Wrenkowski has now officially signed an NXT deal.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.