Finn Bálor was originally booked in a Universal championship match against Roman Reigns at SummerSlam 2021, but the match didn’t happen thanks to that scumbag John Cena.
Bálor realized that waiting for the next pay-per-view (Extreme Rules on Sept. 26) to get his title shot was a foolish idea, so he instead challenged Reigns for the gold on last week’s (Sept. 3) episode of SmackDown. It turned out that shenanigans were afoot; Bálor was attacked by Jimmy and Jey Uso before the match, leaving him in a weakened state. Reigns took advantage of the situation and successfully retained the title.
Earlier today, WWE announced that as a result of the Usos’ unfair pre-match attack, a championship rematch between Reigns and Bálor has been made official for Extreme Rules.
Last week’s episode of SmackDown teased a return of The Demon. Right now it’s just regular ole’ Finn Bálor in the above graphic for the Universal title match at Extreme Rules, but it’s a pretty safe bet that something will change - either with the The Demon being added to the mix, a stipulation added to fit the Extreme Rules theme, or both.
Here’s the updated match card for Extreme Rules:
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Bianca Belair (SmackDown women’s championship)
- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Randy Orton (WWE championship)
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Finn Bálor (Universal championship)
- Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw women’s championship)
- Damian Priest (c) vs. Sheamus (United States championship)