WWE released more than a dozen NXT and developmental wrestlers last month. Mercedes Martinez was one of the names on the cut list. She handled the news with a public statement of optimism, but for many fans it was hugely disappointing to see WWE once again miss the boat on a very talented wrestler who took quite a long time to make it onto that stage in the first place.
It took so long (she is currently 40 years old) for Martinez to make it to WWE, in fact, that she says Triple H apologized to her around the time she signed with WWE in January 2020. Here is how she explained it during an interview with DNC Digital, courtesy of the transcript from POST Wrestling:
“When I got hired and I finally got to sit down and talk to him [Triple H] or stand up I guess because we were standing up while we were talking. It was more like him saying, ‘Sorry it took us so long to get you here. It was just never the right timing to bring Mercedes in. We always wanted you but there was just never the right time. We didn’t know what to do with you’ and I was like, ‘No,’ I was like, ‘I’m just glad to be here now. What is my role now to be here?’ And that conversation went to the fact that, you know, ‘Hopefully, there will always be something here for someone like you. When you hang up your boots, there’s always gonna be something maybe going forward to a trainer’ and I was like, ‘Yeah.’ I was like, ‘When that time comes, we will talk again’ and that was, you know, that was really the only one-on-one conversation we really had for the year-and-a-half I was there because like I said, the pandemic hit so I didn’t want to be near really anybody.”
Despite what Triple H told her, there wasn’t always something for Mercedes to do in WWE, because Vince McMahon fired her last month (the rumor mill suggests Triple H had nothing to do with those releases). Mercedes will instead be appearing on Impact Wrestling’s Knockouts Knockdown all women’s event in October.
Triple H is away from NXT right now while recovering from a procedure on his heart. Given reports that he is internally blamed for losing the Wednesday night war to AEW, it will be really interesting to see how NXT 2.0 fares when he returns.