The United States title scene is so very strange.
Damian Priest, the current champion, defeated both Drew McIntyre and Sheamus. The very next week, those two were put in a match with the winner earning a shot at the U.S. championship.
Then, Priest defeated Jeff Hardy to retain his title. The very next week, Hardy was put in a match against Sheamus with the stipulation that if he emerged victorious, he would be added to the previously scheduled Priest vs. Sheamus title match.
Unsurprisingly enough, Hardy did indeed defeat Sheamus after what was a pretty damn good match on this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw. So we’ll have a triple threat for the U.S. championship at the upcoming Extreme Rules pay-per-view set for this Sun., Sept. 26, 2021, at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
Here’s the updated Extreme Rules match card:
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. The Demon (Universal championship)
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Bianca Belair (SmackDown women’s championship)
- Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw women’s championship)
- Damian Priest (c) vs. Sheamus vs. Jeff Hardy (United States championship)
- The Usos (c) vs. The Street Profits (SmackDown tag team championship)
- Liv Morgan vs. Carmella