Johnny Gargano’s never had a good reason for his mistrust of Dexter Lumis. Sure, no “dad” wants to see his kid fall in love with a non-verbal cartoonist he can’t beat in a staring contest. But Indi Hartwell digs her Dexy, and Lumis not only seems to treat her well, he’s tried to do right by Johnny & The Way, too.
But Gargano (and before her stepping off-screen after announcing her pregnancy) Candice LeRae haven’t been able to accept that. Their desire to keep Indi and Dexter apart led to the tension and arguing that drove Austin Theory away. If Hartwell’s as strong as she’s appeared to be throughout this crazy wrestling romance, she’ll eventually walk away from Mr. & Mrs. Wrestling, too.
If that’s not enough to get the message across to Papa John, he’s now losing matches because of it. Lumis was a big asset in his battle with LA Knight on the Aug. 31 NXT, but when the Tortured Artist wanted to high five his future “father”-in-law, Gargano’s hesitation created an opening for Knight to pin his dumb ass.
Maybe this is the wake-up call Gargano needs to get over himself, and learn to love In-Dex. If not, the Hartwell-Lumises should leave him at the altar after their Sept. 14 wedding.
Let us know what you think of this NXT drama. Before you do that, check out the highlights and extras from NXT this week:
- Sarray injures Mandy Rose with a devastating dropkick to the face
- Kyle O’Reilly vs. Duke Hudson
- Ilja Dragunov says “Long live the Czar!”
- The recent success of Cameron Grimes and Carmelo Hayes attracts opposition
- Ember Moon challenges Kay Lee Ray to a showdown next week
- Drake Maverick & Grayson Waller vs. Imperium
- Raquel Gonzalez vs. Jessi Kamea
- Samoa Joe challenges all up-and-comers to seize their opportunity
- Ikemen Jiro vs. Roderick Strong
- Tommaso Ciampa vs. Ridge Holland
- Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jayne stand guard (Online Exclusive)
- Raquel Gonzalez is ready if Franky Monet wants trouble (Online Exclusive)
- Raquel Gonzalez is where Franky Monet needs to be (Online Exclusive)