In this writer’s humble opinion, Baron Corbin has been mostly a waste of television time since he came to WWE. He’s got the look, the size, and most of the tools to be the kind of guy you would think would succeed in pro wrestling, but he was just missing something.
He found it.
First, as Bum Ass Baron, the downtrodden miserable sad sack who lost everything and grew increasingly desperate in the face of such massive failure and now, as showcased on Friday Night SmackDown this week, as Happy Corbin, the overly giddy gambler who hit big and can’t help but be ecstatic at all times about it. I’m not sure why these particular versions of Baron Corbin are connecting so well — I think it might simply be his commitment to playing the character. It feels genuine in a way he never did before.
I bought how miserable he was when he was down, and I’m buying how over the moon he is now that he’s up.
That’s also why it’s worth paying attention to wherever this story goes — no matter what happens, Corbin is going to make it entertaining.
Here are all the videos from SmackDown this week:
- Relive Becky Lynch’s return to recapture the SmackDown women’s title
- Becky Lynch comes face-to-face with several potential challengers
- Belair wins the right to face Lynch in a Fatal 4-Way Elimination match
- Happy Corbin attempts to buy Big E’s Money in the Bank contract
- Cesaro vs. Chad Gable
- Relive the turbulent events surrounding the Universal title at SummerSlam
- The Usos confront Paul Heyman about Brock Lesnar’s return
- King Nakamura & Rick Boogs vs. Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode
- Have Edge and Seth Rollins moved on from their rivalry
- Dominik Mysterio vs. Sami Zayn
- Finn Bálor invades The Bloodline’s Family Celebration
- Sami Zayn has shown Dominik Mysterio is not on his level
- Naomi has nothing to prove to anyone
- Bianca Belair will prove to The Man that she’s the EST of WWE