Any time a wrestler makes a surprise return to WWE television, it’s going to qualify as the highlight of the show said return took place on. Such was the case for Friday Night SmackDown this week, where Zelina Vega showed up as the latest announced entrant in the women’s Money in the Bank ladder match at Money in the Bank on July 18, 2021, in Fort Worth, Texas.
She was simply placed in the match by Sonya Deville.
Vega’s return did nothing to change the story they’re telling with Liv Morgan, however. She’s trying to prove she belongs in the big match and she’s done this by immediately wrestling whoever Deville announces for it. She did it last week, defeating Carmella, and she did it again this week, defeating Vega.
That’s right. Vega lost her first match back on the same night of her surprise return.
Hey, it’s about good storytelling, right?
Here are all the highlights from SmackDown this week:
- Relive the carnage as Edge returns to lay waste to Reigns and Jimmy Uso
- Edge reveals that Roman Reigns is scared of him
- Big E & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Apollo Crews & Baron Corbin
- Belair challenges Bayley to an “I Quit” match at Money in the Bank
- KO vs. Zayn — Last Man Standing Money in the Bank Ladder Qualifying Match
- Zelina Vega returns
- Liv Morgan vs. Zelina Vega
- Angelo Dawkins vs. Otis
- Jimmy Uso gets a painful lesson in family from Edge
- Carmella says no one can touch her at Money in the Bank
- Beating Sami Zayn to qualify for Money in the Bank is very special for Kevin Owens
- Liv Morgan deserves to be in the Money in the Bank Ladder match
- Otis and Chad Gable have their sights set on the SmackDown Tag Team Titles