It was a week ago that Drake Wuertz and his QAnon-inspired anti-mask advocacy was again a topic of conversation in the wrestling world.
We heard that WWE officials were again becoming concerned with Wuertz’s behavior, and likely the possibility it could become a news item in the mainstream world. Today (May 19), we’re hearing from PWInsider that he was released.
Even though they are said to have suspended Wuertz earlier this year, it’s still a somewhat surprising move. WWE was touting his rise from indie deathmatches to the top of their NXT officiating team not too long ago, and he did work a match on last night’s episode. Losing his job altogether marks quite the fall from grace for the former wrestler.
Insider also says Wuertz may just be one of several people who were released at the Performance Center this morning. It’s conceivable he was included in the cuts from NXT which were rumored to follow the main roster releases that happened last month.
The company typically doesn’t announce names who’ve been let go from Developmental, but we’ll update with more as we hear it.