Coming into tonight’s (May 14) go home episode of SmackDown, WWE had six matches officially booked for WrestleMania Backlash, coming up on Sunday, May 16.
The card needs at least one more match, and there was a clear path towards Apollo Crews grabbing that spot in an Intercontinental championship defense. That’s because he’s been mixing it up lately with Big E, Sami Zayn, and Kevin Owens. A 4-way match for the title seemed inevitable, it was just a matter of making the announcement.
WWE did make the announcement tonight, and that 4-way match for the Intercontinental championship will indeed take place. But it’s going to take place on next week’s (May 21) episode of SmackDown, and not at WrestleMania Backlash.
Hey, SmackDown needs matches too, right?
That leaves WrestleMania Backlash still in need of at least one more match. What match(es) do you expect will be added to the card for this Sunday?
Here’s the current WrestleMania Backlash card:
- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Braun Strowman for the WWE championship
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Cesaro for the Universal championship
- Bayley vs. Bianca Belair for the SmackDown Women’s title
- Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Asuka for the Raw women’s championship
- Dirty Dawgs (c) vs. Dominik & Rey Mysterio for the SmackDown Tag Team titles
- Damian Priest vs. The Miz (Lumberjack match)
Get complete SmackDown results and coverage of this week’s show right here.