The former Impact & Lucha Underground star was among the wrestlers WWE released last week, and during her conversation with Sean Ross Sapp covered her time with WWE and being let go. Most of it lines up with reports and rumors we’ve heard about Green over the past year, and the April 15 roster cuts.
Almost teaming with her real-life friends Garrett & Borne was an idea that came up without any of the performers speaking to Vince McMahon - despite the fact they “sat outside Vince’s office for 4 weeks.” They did meet with some writers about the gimmick, but once the pandemic started, it fell apart.
Green then resumed trying to meet with the Chairman & CEO on her own, a process she described as showing up a half-hour before the 2 p.m. call time and camping out by his door until 5 p.m. in hopes of speaking to the man with the final say:
“Then once that idea was done and there was no ideas, I went again and waited for three weeks, and then I think on the third or fourth week he ended up being able to see me, which was the best thing ever for my career. He sat down and we probably had a 30-minute chat. He asked who I was in terms of who do I want to be presented as and I told him I’ve probably pitched 15, 20 ideas and he said, ‘Okay, give them to me. Pitch them to me.’ I pitched every single, 15 ideas to him. He wrote them all down. We talked about each one. We talked about what would work and what wouldn’t. He asked me why I thought certain things would work and why I thought certain things wouldn’t, and 2 weeks later I was in that Survivor Series qualifying match.”
Green was a late addition to the Survivor Series picture, and this would seem to explain why. Other ideas which were considered for her included being Charlotte Flair’s protege, which we saw signs of during Flair’s NXT Women’s title run, and a remix of the Mickie James/Trish Stratus stalker angle with Green pursuing James, something they teased on social media.
In that qualifying match on SmackDown, Green broke her wrist for the second time in a little more than a year. She told Sapp she didn’t think she’d have been released if the injury hadn’t happened, but...
“I’m not really one to dwell on what-ifs. There’s a couple of what-ifs in my career that I linger on, but that’s life. And not only is that life, that is definitely pro wrestling.”
As for the call itself last Thursday, Green confirmed she got the call from recently promoted Head of Talent Relations John Laurinaitis, and that the reason given was “budget cuts”. Chelsea said she got “a heads up” text letting her know releases were coming, but while she was bracing for the news she was still “totally shocked”. The 30 year old Canadian said Laurinaitis was “very, very sweet,” and delivered a familiar message - but one she believes:
“They kind of say the same thing every time, which is that WWE is a revolving door and we’ve seen that happen, especially when we saw Jinder come back, and people like that, and become the champ. I know that that’s a possibility. I know that that sentence is true. With that being said, you can’t sit around and wait and I’m just not that type of person to sit around and wait. I never have been. I think that’s why I’ve done well in wrestling. I always left the party before the party was over. Even though I didn’t leave the party this time, I got kicked out, the party still is going. I can still come back and the party’s still going to be going.”
In what could be a good sign for Green if she hopes to return, she did sign an extension with WWE last November (probably also after finally getting her sit-down with Vince). Like the Good Brothers last year, that didn’t keep her off the chopping block, but is probably a sign there is interest in her work.
We’ll see what’s next for the Hot Mess. Check out Fightful’s entire interview with Chelsea Green here.