Randy Orton is scheduled to wrestle The Fiend on night two of WrestleMania 37, coming up on Apr. 10 & Apr. 11 on Peacock.
Orton and Bray Wyatt already locked up four years ago at WrestleMania 33 in 2017, in a match that featured Randal’s giant sperm entrance, as well as bugs projected onto the ring. It was a terrible match that came about after Orton burned down Sister Abigail’s resting place. Orton was somehow supposed to be the babyface of that story, and he defeated Wyatt for the WWE championship.
It turns out that Orton’s win in 2017 over Wyatt is the last time Orton has won a match at WrestleMania. In fact, Randy has competed on 16 different WrestleMania events over the course of his career, and his overall record, 6-10, kind of stinks. It’s the sort of record that can only be considered successful in the NFC East.
Here’s a quick rundown of each of his 16 matches, with wins in bold:
- WrestleMania 20: Evolution defeats The Rock & Mick Foley
- WrestleMania 21: The Undertaker defeats Randy Orton
- WrestleMania 22: Rey Mysterio defeats Orton & Kurt Angle
- WrestleMania 23: Orton loses in the Money in the Bank ladder match
- WrestleMania 24: Orton defeats John Cena & Triple H
- WrestleMania 25: Triple H defeats Orton
- WrestleMania 26: Orton defeats Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr.
- WrestleMania 27: Orton defeats CM Punk
- WrestleMania 28: Kane defeats Orton
- WrestleMania 29: The Shield defeats Orton, Sheamus, and Big Show
- WrestleMania 30: Daniel Bryan defeats Orton & Batista
- WrestleMania 31: Orton defeats Seth Rollins
- WrestleMania 33: Orton defeats Bray Wyatt
- WrestleMania 34: Jinder Mahal defeats Orton, Rusev, and Bobby Roode
- WrestleMania 35: AJ Styles defeats Orton
- WrestleMania 36: Edge defeats Orton
Orton won four of his first eight matches on the big stage, but he’s only been victorious in two of his eight matches since that point. The entries that stand out from the more recent losses include falling to Kane in 2012 and Jinder Mahal in 2018. Mahal didn’t pin Orton in that one, but he at least continued being a thorn in The Viper’s side.
Orton is typically a heel, and conventional wisdom says that heels are supposed to lose at WrestleMania. These results might not be all that surprising with that context in mind. But that brings me back to this year’s match with The Fiend. Alexa Bliss has declared that the Legend Killer will die, while Orton seems intent on murdering Wyatt one more time. I’m pretty sure that Orton is the heel this time, but it’s difficult to consider The Fiend a babyface.
What’s the best way to book the finish to their match at WrestleMania 37? Should Orton add another loss to his poor WrestleMania record and give Wyatt his win back from 2017, or did The Fiend already reach his quota for WrestleMania wins when he erased John Cena from existence last year?