As reported earlier this week, WWE filmed their Superstar Spectacle show for the Indian market today (Jan. 22) at Tropicana Field in Tampa, aka the ThunderDome.
Spoilers have made their way online, primarily via the website ITN Wrestling. Here’s what we’ll see when the event will broadcast worldwide next Tues., Jan. 26 on India’s Republic Day holiday. It will stream on WWE Network at the same time it airs on Sony Ten 1, Sony Ten 3, and Sony MAX in India - 9:30 a.m. Eastern.
– Opens with a video with the tagline “WWE: Hero in All of Us”, which is special for the Indian market.
– Promos aired for Guru Raaj, Bollywood Boyz, Jinder Mahal, Jeet Rama, Kavita Devi, Indus Sher, Dilsher Shanky, and Giant Zanjeer. Those were followed by videos for Royal Rumble 2021 and WrestleMania 37.
– Jinder Mahal opened the show, congratulated India for Republic Day and asks the fans to “blow the roof off” with their reaction so India gets a weekly show.
– Big E and Xavier Woods came out and did their usual skit before the Street Profits interrupted. They then introduced a performance from Spinning Canvas.
– The show begins proper with the WWE opening video, then the India national anthem. Triple H narrated a promo about WWE’s relationship with India, with clips of various wrestlers (John Cena, Bret Hart, etc) visiting the country. There were clips of traditional Indian wrestling and videos of The Great Khali, the Bollywood Boyz, Jinder Mahal and others. Triple H introduced the new stars in developmental, including Jeet Rama, Indus Sher (Rinku & Saurav), Guru Raaj, Giant Zanjeer, Dilsjer Shanky and Kavita Devi.
– Michael Cole, Corey Graves and Shoraz Ali provided commentary.
– Finn Bálor def. Guri Raaj via pinfall after 1916
– Dilsher Shanky, Giant Zanjeer, Rey Mysterio & Ricochet def. Dolph Ziggler, King Corbin, Shinsuke Nakamura & Cesaro via pinfall (Mysterio on Cesaro after a Splash from Shanky’s shoulders)
– AJ Styles def. Jeet Rama via pinfall after a Phenomenal Forearm
– Sareena Sandhu & Charlotte Flair def. Bayley & Natalya via pinfall (Charlotte hit Bayley with a boot at ringside, then save Sandhu from a Sharpshooter by hitting Natural Selection on Natalya; Sandhu covered Nattie)
– Ric Flair cuts a promo but gets cut off by Jinder Mahal and the Bollywood Boyz. Mahal cuts a heel promo, but Drew McIntyre and Indus Sher arrive...
– Drew McIntyre & Indus Sher def. Jinder Mahal & The Bollywood Boyz after Indus Sher hit their finisher (which was a backbreaker/elbow drop combo during their brief time on NXT)
– All the Indian stars celebrate with Triple H and Stephanie McMahon
Former WWE champion Mahal has been out of action since last June when he underwent knee surgery, his second in as many years. Current WWE champion McIntyre is making his first appearance since his COVID diagnosis was announced almost two weeks ago. His return was expected, but is a welcome sign nonetheless. His being cleared for this means we’re full speed ahead for his match with Goldberg at Royal Rumble on Jan. 31.
We’ll see how Superstar Spectacle is received, especially in the market its intended for. WWE hasn’t tailored a product this specifically for a non-U.S. or U.K. audience, which shows how important India is to their growth plans.