This WWE.com list isn’t ranked, and is just different staffers answer to the question “What was the greatest SummerSlam match ever?”
Still, it’s a good way to start a discussion on a slow news day. So here they are:
- John Cena vs. AJ Styles (2016)
- Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart for the Intercontinental championship (1991)
- Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman vs. Samoa Joe in a Fatal 4-Way for the Universal title (2017)
- The Rock vs. Triple H in a Ladder match for the Intercontinental championship (1998)
- Edge & Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudleys in a TLC match for the Tag Team titles (2000)
- Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in an Unsanctioned Street Fight (2002)
- Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog for the Intercontinental championship (1992)
- John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE title (2013)
- The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the Undisputed championship (2002)
- Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart –in a Steel Cage match for the WWE title (1994)
It’s a pretty good sampling of bouts spread out over 30+ years of the show’s history. If there’s a bias, it’s toward the big names - and ones still in Vince McMahon’s good graces (I’d argue for CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy in ‘09 or Brock Lesnar in the ‘13 card). But these cover most* of the ones I thought of. And when the Excellence of Execution shows up three times, that’s the sign of a good list.
Let us know what you think of the list, and which matches you think got snubbed, in the comments below.
* I have much love for Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio overcoming a bad story with a great match in 2005. And for Shawn Michaels clowning Hulk Hogan that same year, but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion...