Next Wednesday, NXT will be making their final push toward TakeOver: XXX. They’ll also be the only pro wrestling program on the air on Aug. 19. There will be competition from the NBA on TNT (among other things), but because of that, Dynamite is bumped to Saturday. So for the first time since last fall, WWE has wrestling fans to themselves.
It’s a set of circumstances that line up nicely, as the black-and-gold brand has several big matches and segments lined up for the go home show.
- Adam Cole invited his TakeOver opponent Pat McAfee to the show, and McAfee accepted. They’ll be together for the first time since the former NFL All-Pro punted him unconscious on Aug. 5, and since their PPV bout was made official.
- There will be two “Last Chance” Qualifying matches to see who joins Cameron Grimes, Damian Priest, and Bronson Reed in TakeOver’s five man North American title Ladder Match. The men who weren’t pinned or submitted in the Triple Threat qualifiers face off, giving us Johnny Gargano vs. Ridge Holland and Finn Bálor vs. Velveteen Dream.
- The budding Cruiserweight title feud between champion Santos Escobar and Isaiah “Swerve” Scott and attacks on Fandango in retaliation for what Escobar said was Breezango disrespecting lucha libre give us a trios match between Legado Del Fantasma and Swerve, Dango & Tyler Breeze.
At present, there are four matches booked for TakeOver: XXX...
- Keith Lee (c) vs. Karrion Kross for the NXT championship
- Dakota Kai vs. Io Shirai (c) for the NXT Women’s title
- Ladder match for the North American championship
- Adam Cole vs. Pat McAfee
So look for at least two more to be made between now and Aug. 22.