NXT UK hasn’t run a show since early March.
Since then, WWE has reportedly scaled back on long-term plans like Triple H’s global expansion so it can focus on maximizing current profits in the pandemic economy. And the United Kingdom scene has been a particular focus of the #SpeakingOut movement, with the company cutting Jack Gallagher, Travis Banks, and El Ligero following sexual abuse allegations.
Interesting time for a “mandatory conference call” with talent. That’s what Wrestling Observer reports will happen for the NXT UK roster tomorrow (Tues., June 30).
The last time we heard about a company-wide call, releases and furloughs followed. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect the same thing here.
But a couple sources indicate that won’t be the news.
TalkSport’s Alex McCarthy says he’s been “emphatically” told by people at WWE that the company remains committed to starting brands & opening Performance Centers worldwide. McCarthy said that because of things like the television contract with BT Sport, “WWE aren’t in a position to shut up shop [in the UK] even if they wanted to – which they don’t.”
Sportskeeda’s Gary Cassidy says there are plans to tape NXT UK empty arena shows “within roughly two months.”
So is that the major announcement we’ll hear about after this conference call?
Join us tomorrow to find out!