We crunched the numbers before, and recognize that the Cruiserweight title match isn’t always on the free pre-show portion of WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events. But that’s certainly been the trend of late, and with the announcement Tony Nese will defend the purple belt against Ariya Daivari at Sun., May 19’s Money in the Bank, we’re guessing it continues.
No disrespect to the Premier Athlete, who’s been a workhorse of the division since the Cruiserweight Classic. Or the Persian Lion, who’s developed his character into more than just the rich kid stereotype it started as. Or anyone on the 205 Live roster, a show which continues to tell solid stories with good-to-great wrestling week-in and week-out.
But WWE’s version of the super juniors is what it is at this point. And that’s something that will probably land on the Kickoff.
Here’s an updated look at the line-up for Hartford, Connecticut’s XL Center:
- Braun Strowman vs. Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Baron Corbin vs. Ali vs. Finn Balor vs. Andrade vs. Randy Orton in the Men’s Money in the Bank ladder match
- Naomi vs. Natalya vs. Dana Brooke vs. Bayley vs. Mandy Rose vs. Ember Moon vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Carmella in the Women’s Money in the Bank ladder match
- Seth Rollins (c) vs. AJ Styles for the Universal championship
- Kevin Owens vs. Kofi Kingston (c) for the WWE title
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lacey Evans for the Raw women’s championship
- Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch (c) for the SmackDown women’s title
- The Miz vs. Shane McMahon in a steel cage match
- Samoa Joe (c) vs. Rey Mysterio for the United States championship
- Roman Reigns vs. Elias
- Ariya Daivari vs. Tony Nese (c) for the Cruiserweight title