It’s a special occasion, as one of the most successful acts in wrestling history says goodbye. Dean Ambrose will not re-sign with WWE when his contract expires at the end of the month, and Roman Reigns is off to SmackDown, so this is the last night they’ll be able to team with Universal champion Seth Rollins as The Shield.
Which is why WWE Network is taking us live to a Raw brand house show in Moline, Illinois’ Tax Slayer Center tonight (Sun., April 21, 2019) at 9:30 p.m. ET so we can watch the Hounds of Justice do their thing, one last time.
CagesideSeats.com will provide LIVE blow-by-blow, coverage of The Shield’s Final Chapter below, beginning with the first match of the evening and right on through to the main event.
Kick your off your shoes, relax, and enjoy all the action with your favorite pro wrestling website. And remember to keep refreshing!
THE SHIELD’S FINAL CHAPTER LIVE BLOG & MATCH COVERAGE
- Renee Young, Michael Cole & Corey Graves are your announcers. We’re getting Finn Balor vs. Elias and The Riott Squad vs. Bayley & Ember Moon tonight, too.
- A video history of The Shield is shown
- Elias is here, so silence your cell phones, etc. He’s happy tonight’s The Shield’s Final Chapter. He mentions the end of SmackDown last week and says Roman Reigns has met his match. Elias has a ditty about how much Moline sucks, but he’s cut off by Finn Balor’s entrance.
- Finn Balor def. Elias via pinfall to retain the Intercontinental title
Elias has the early advantage with strikes, focused on working an arm. Kicks and chops from Finn, and gets a cover off an inside cradle for a two count. Elias transitions out for an arm bar. Double stomp and a sling blade from Balor. Clotheline back from Elias, who covers for a nearfall. Enziguri from Finn, and he climbs for the Coup de Gras, but Elias catches him. They battle, then Balor nails a sunset flip to cover, and traps Elias for three in the scramble.
- That allows Elias to try and resume his performance, but he’s interrupted by the Riott Squad. They want to join his song - tonight they’re the Elias Squad. Elias likes this idea, and says he has a good feeling about it. He probably regrets that decision when they make the song all about them.
- Ember Moon & Bayley def. The Riott Squad (Ruby Riott & Sarah Logan)
Bayley is face in peril, eventually bringing in Moon for the hot tag. Riott kicks out after a high crossbody gets two, then fights back with strikes and tries for a cover of her own, but uses the ropes and some help from Liv Morgan. The referee sees it and throws Liv out. The Eclipse follows not long after.
- We get a handheld camera promo from the Hounds of Justice from backstage, like from their first run together as heels. They walked into WWE seven years ago with one goal in mind - to create a legacy while upholding their code. They created a new legacy. Tonight, come hell or high water, they’re doing it their way. Believe... in The Shield.
- The heels enter first, along with some footage of Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley & Baron Corbin wrecking a Lucha House Party vs. Singh Brothers match from earlier in the night. Corbin demands Mike Rome read his entire resume, then plays up having beaten Kurt Angle as proof he can ensure fairy tale endings don’t happen. Bobby talks some trash next, and Drew ends it by demanding The Shield come out. They come through the crowd as Michael Cole asks Renee Young if her husband leaving the company is hard on her. She basically says that if her husband is happy, she’s happy.
- The Shield def. Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley & Baron Corbin
Rollins and Corbin start, and after Seth takes him down with a drop kick, he brings in Dean to a big pop. Low clothesline from Ambrose followed by a drop knee from Rollins. Action proceeds to a staredown between ‘Mania opponents when Drew McIntyre comes in. The Big Dog levels him and brings Ambrose back in... he ends up on the floor and Lashley & Corbin jump on him, ending a beatdown by dropping him throat first on the barricade. They throw him in and Drew, then Lashley work him over in the ring. The heels continue to dump Dean outside for the other two to stomp while taunting Roman & Seth to keep the ref’s attention.
Ambrose is able to get Corbin in a Figure Four, but Lashley distracts the ref so McIntyre can slide in and rake Dean’s eyes to break the hold. When Drew is in, Ambrose snaps off a suplex, but can’t get to the corner for a tag as Lashley cuts him off before he can reach Seth. They try the dump & distract trick again, so Reigns grabs a chair and chases Corbin & McIntyre off. After the official gets things back under control, Dean takes down McIntyre and finally reaches Seth, who comes in and cleans house. Rollins sets up for the stomp, but before he can deliver it, Drew distracts from the apron, allowing Corbin to recover and club him upside the head. The Universal champ fights off a superplex, hits a crossbody and Baron and rolls through to tag Reigns. He clears the ring, and after Lashley counters his first Superman punch attempt, both Corbin and Bob take the move. Roman to his feet first and brings in Dean, axehandle off the top for a cover, but McIntyre breaks it up. He and Corbin try to suplex Ambrose, but Seth catches him and they take out the heels with superkicks. Roman with a spear to Lashley, Rollins with a stomp on Drew, and Dean with Dirty Deeds to Corbin... Triple Powerbomb! Rollins covers and that’s the final chapter.
- Seth gets the title from the referee and Dean lets him pose in the corner with the belt in his hometown(ish). Cole points out that Ambrose could have gotten the pin himself, but he wanted to go out with his brothers and give Seth the pin in the Quad Cities.
- They linger in the ring as a “Thank You Ambrose” chant breaks out. Rollins holds the mic to the crowd as Dean sells and leans on Big Uce to hide a smile while the crowd chants “Please Don’t Go”. Seth opens with the “don’t you guys think we tried that already” line, and says he doesn’t know what to say that hasn’t already been said. He says he won the Universal title at WrestleMania, and it was the culmination of 15 years in the business. He couldn’t have done that without the support of the friends and family he has in the building, but it wouldn’t have been possible without the brotherhod in the ring right now. He loves them, he’ll always love the Shield, and the Universal title is for all of them.
He offers the mic to Roman as the crowd chants “thank you Shield”. Reigns passes, but Dean has something to say. Seth Rollins is from right here in the Quad Cities, and he’s proof if you work hard enough and don’t take no for an answer, you can do anything you put your mind to. And Reigns is proof that you can beat anything life puts in your way. And if you do those things and people still tell you no, you put your middle finger in the air and you march forward and you tell em The Shield said so.
Ambrose holds up his fist and puts it in the middle... Reigns & Rollins join him for a final fist bump, and that’s the show.