WWE Super Show-Down, the company’s latest international stadium show that’s mostly a house show but promoted like a pay-per-view (PPV), added a pair of tag matches coming out of the Sept. 5 episode of SmackDown.
One makes sense on a number of levels. Super Show-Down is in Melbourne. Peyton Royce & Billie Kay are the main roster’s most prominent Australian talents. They’ve been feuding with former Women’s Champ Naomi, who this week picked up an ally in her fight against The IIconics in the form of Asuka. So Royce and Kay will join fellow Aussie Buddy Murphy on the card for a match with Asuka and Naomi.
The other is the latest example of the weird bind WWE finds itself in as it prepares to promote two Network specials in the span of a couple weeks. The New Day have been announced as defending their SmackDown Tag Titles against The Bar on Oct. 6 at The MCG. Which is fine, but Cesaro and Sheamus have also been involved in a weeks long story on Tuesday nights about winning a shot at the belts in a mini-tournament. With a #1 contender match set for next week against Rusev Day, we now already know they’ve been given a shot at the belts next month. Unless they already have them by virtue of winning next Tuesday (Sept. 11) and at Hell in a Cell (Sept. 16).
Told you it got weird.
Here’s the updated Super Show-Down card:
- The Undertaker vs. Triple H
- John Cena and Bobby Lashley vs. Elias and Kevin Owens
- AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE Championship
- Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz with the winner getting a future WWE title shot
- The Shield vs. Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre
- Ronda Rousey and The Bella Twins vs. The Riott Squad
- The New Day vs. The Bar for the SmackDown Tag Titles
- Asuka and Naomi vs. The IIconics
- Cedric Alexander vs. Buddy Murphy for the Cruiserweight Championship