WWE’s Hell in a Cell 2018 lasted for 3 hours 40 minutes and 46 seconds (3h 40m 46s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The “pre-match” segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The “post-match” segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
PPV Timing for Hell in a Cell 2018
|0m 00s||0m 21s||Then, Now, Forever||0m 21s|
|0m 21s||2m 59s||Opening hype video||2m 38s|
|2m 59s||3m 35s||Welcome to Hell in a Cell||0m 36s|
|3m 35s||9m 10s||Pre-match: Hardy vs. Orton||5m 35s|
|9m 10s||34m 02s||Hardy vs. Orton||24m 52s|
|34m 02s||38m 19s||Post-match: Hardy vs. Orton||4m 17s|
|38m 19s||38m 50s||Ad for Super Show-Down||0m 31s|
|38m 50s||39m 46s||Ad for Total Divas||0m 56s|
|39m 46s||40m 55s||Backstage Styles interview||1m 09s|
|40m 55s||41m 31s||Filler commentary||0m 36s|
|41m 31s||48m 24s||Pre-match: Flair vs. Lynch||6m 53s|
|48m 24s||1h 02m 14s||Flair vs. Lynch||13m 50s|
|1h 02m 14s||1h 04m 54s||Post-match: Flair vs. Lynch||2m 40s|
|1h 04m 54s||1h 05m 26s||Ad for The Marine 6||0m 32s|
|1h 05m 26s||1h 06m 12s||Fighting pediatric cancer with Connor's Cure||0m 46s|
|1h 06m 12s||1h 06m 29s||Update on Jeff Hardy||0m 17s|
|1h 06m 29s||1h 07m 35s||Recap of pre-show match||1m 06s|
|1h 07m 35s||1h 09m 35s||Backstage with New Day||2m 00s|
|1h 09m 35s||1h 14m 47s||Pre-match: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins||5m 12s|
|1h 14m 47s||1h 37m 44s||Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins||22m 57s|
|1h 37m 44s||1h 38m 58s||Post-match: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins||1m 14s|
|1h 38m 58s||1h 40m 02s||Backstage with Strowman & Foley||1m 04s|
|1h 40m 02s||1h 42m 08s||Hype for Mixed Match Challenge||2m 06s|
|1h 42m 08s||1h 50m 18s||Pre-match: Styles vs. Joe||8m 10s|
|1h 50m 18s||2h 09m 19s||Styles vs. Joe||19m 01s|
|2h 09m 19s||2h 12m 34s||Post-match: Styles vs. Joe||3m 15s|
|2h 12m 34s||2h 13m 05s||Ad for WWE Champions||0m 31s|
|2h 13m 05s||2h 13m 56s||Ad for Mick Foley: 20 Years of Hell||0m 51s|
|2h 13m 56s||2h 14m 14s||Backstage glance at Rousey||0m 18s|
|2h 14m 14s||2h 22m 10s||Pre-match: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse||7m 56s|
|2h 22m 10s||2h 35m 11s||Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse||13m 01s|
|2h 35m 11s||2h 36m 33s||Post-match: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse||1m 22s|
|2h 36m 33s||2h 37m 23s||Ad for WWE Shop||0m 50s|
|2h 37m 23s||2h 39m 14s||Update on Jeff Hardy||1m 51s|
|2h 39m 14s||2h 39m 28s||Plug for PPV theme song||0m 14s|
|2h 39m 28s||2h 46m 19s||Pre-match: Rousey vs. Bliss||6m 51s|
|2h 46m 19s||2h 58m 19s||Rousey vs. Bliss||12m 00s|
|2h 58m 19s||2h 59m 54s||Post-match: Rousey vs. Bliss||1m 35s|
|2h 59m 54s||3h 00m 32s||Thoughts and prayers to hurricane victims||0m 38s|
|3h 00m 32s||3h 00m 48s||Ad for The Marine 6||0m 16s|
|3h 00m 48s||3h 01m 29s||Undertaker is on Raw tomorrow||0m 41s|
|3h 01m 29s||3h 03m 43s||Backstage with Joe & Paige||2m 14s|
|3h 03m 43s||3h 04m 59s||Hype for Super Show-Down||1m 16s|
|3h 04m 59s||3h 16m 20s||Pre-match: Reigns vs. Strowman||11m 21s|
|3h 16m 20s||3h 40m 10s||Reigns vs. Strowman||23m 50s|
|3h 40m 10s||3h 40m 46s||Post-match: Reigns vs. Strowman||0m 36s|
The 7 matches combined for a total time of 2h 09m 31s. This means that 58.7% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 14th highest percentage in this category out of the 78 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for Hell in a Cell 2018. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 569 matches in my data set.
- 24m 52s: Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton (47th longest out of 569 matches)
- 23m 50s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (57th)
- 22m 57s: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins (71st)
- 19m 01s: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe (128th)
- 13m 50s: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch (239th)
- 13m 01s: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse (263rd)
- 12m 00s: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss (294th)
Three of the seven matches on this card included female wrestlers, and those three matches were given the least amount of time on the show.
On the bright side, the match times for those three bouts were all between 12 to 14 minutes, which is longer than the typical “shortest matches of the night.” Overall there was a lot of enjoyable women’s wrestling to be found at Hell in a Cell. And the remaining fights featured two Hell in a Cell matches and a WWE Championship match, which are understandably difficult to compete with for time.
That’s all true, but part of the reason why the women’s matches all ranked in the bottom three for time is that none of the women’s matches were given the Hell in a Cell stipulation. A cell match between Becky and Charlotte would likely receive more time than an Orton/Hardy match without the cell. But WWE chose to keep the women away from the cell gimmick.
13 minutes for Brie’s mixed tag team match is a reasonable amount of time. However we just saw Miz and Bryan have the longest match of the night one month ago at SummerSlam, which makes their much shorter mixed tag match here with Brie and Maryse stand out in comparison.
Both women’s championship matches lasted less than 14 minutes. Wouldn’t it seem strange if a WWE Championship match went shorter than 14 minutes on PPV? Why should a top women’s championship match be expected to have shorter times than a top men’s championship match?
I don’t want to make it sound like the world is ending here. That there were three matches featuring women that all lasted at least 12 minutes is a good thing, and certainly a huge improvement over where things were two months ago at Extreme Rules, but these disparities still catch the eye and are worth pointing out.
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 51m 58s, which is 23.5% of the show. This is the 46th highest percentage in this category out of the 78 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 7 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 54s and the average time is 6m 25s.
- 11m 21s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 8m 10s: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
- 7m 56s: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse
- 6m 53s: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
- 6m 51s: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss
- 5m 35s: Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton
- 5m 12s: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins
Five matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package right before superstar entrances. These five video packages combined to take up 16m 17s of the pre-match segment time. Here is the sorted list of the times for those video packages.
- 3m 41s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 3m 26s: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
- 3m 08s: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse
- 3m 02s: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
- 3m 00s: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 14m 59s, which is 6.8% of the show. This is the 70th highest percentage in this category out of the 78 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 7 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 59s and the average time is 2m 27s.
- 4m 17s: Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton
- 3m 15s: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
- 2m 40s: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
- 1m 35s: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss
- 1m 22s: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse
- 1m 14s: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins
- 0m 36s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
That leaves about 11.0% (24m 18s) of the show for everything else. This is the 46th highest percentage in this category out of the 78 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. Hell in a Cell 2018 included seven different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 3m 35s (Then Now Forever; Opening video)
- Block 2: 3m 12s (Ads for Super Show-Down & Total Divas; Styles promo)
- Block 3: 4m 41s (Ad for The Marine 6; Connor’s Cure; Hardy update; New Day backstage)
- Block 4: 3m 10s (Strowman & Foley backstage; Ad for Mixed Match Challenge)
- Block 5: 1m 40s (Ads for WWE Champions & Mick Foley: 20 Years of Hell; Rousey backstage)
- Block 6: 2m 55s (Ad for WWE Shop; Hardy update; PPV theme song)
- Block 7: 5m 05s (Hype for The Marine 6, Super Show-Down, & Raw; Joe & Paige backstage)
The overall run time for Hell in a Cell 2018 was 3h 40m 46s, and this ranks 15th highest out of all 78 events in my data set.
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 569 entries in my data set.
- 35m 47s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (72nd longest out of 569 entries)
- 34m 44s: Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton (84th)
- 30m 26s: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe (129th)
- 29m 23s: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins (140th)
- 23m 23s: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch (228th)
- 22m 19s: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse (253rd)
- 20m 26s: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss (289th)
Now here is a look at the “Match Time Percentage” for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it’s good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 62.1%.
(Here’s an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 78.1%: Ziggler & McIntyre vs. Ambrose & Rollins
- 71.6%: Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton
- 66.6%: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 62.5%: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
- 59.2%: Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
- 58.7%: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss
- 58.3%: Brie & Bryan vs. Miz & Maryse
Final Results for Hell in a Cell 2018
Match - 58.7% - 2h 09m 31s
Pre-match - 23.5% - 51m 58s
Post-match - 6.8% - 14m 59s
Miscellaneous - 11.0% - 24m 18s