Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
The purple brand moves to Wednesday, and they’re kicking things off with a title rematch! Cruiserweight champ Cedric Alexander defends the belt he’s held since WrestleMania 34 against the man he defeated to retain the title at SummerSlam, Drew Gulak.
It’s a match Buddy Murphy will be watching closely, since he gets a shot at the winner next month in his native Australia at Super Show-Down. Murphy seems to have put Lucha House Party in his rearview with his win over Gran Metalik last week, but we shall see.
Plus, we think we’re still building to a battle of confident young stars with Lio Rush and Noam Dar’s feud, even if it looks like plans changed and we won’t be getting that tonight. Hideo Itami and a recently cleared Mustafa Ali also continue to circle one another.
We'll post match results, highlights and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast at 7PM Eastern!
NOTE: Spoilers are out there for these pre-taped broadcasts (including here), but many Cagesiders don’t partake. If you are going to post or discuss spoilers for this show in the short-time between when this article is published and the show’s start, please use the spoiler bar in your comment.
Enjoy the show!
- A long recap of Cedric retaining his title on the SummerSlam Kickoff and Gulak’s campaign of terror to get DRAKE MAVERICK to let he and Alexander have a rematch is shown before the opening theme.
- Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness and Percy Watson welcome us to Tulsa, and make their picks in Alexander vs. Gulak II.
- TJP def. Lince Dorado via pinfall with a roll-up
Dorado comes down to the ring without his brothers, and gets the mostly empty arena going a bit with a “LUCHA” chant. Perkins gets enough of an advantage in the early going to try to dab on Lince and gets kicked in the head for it. TJ regains control by knocking Dorado down with a shoulder on the apron, followed by a guillotine in the ropes. That allows him to work some submissions and go for pins, but Perkins seems just as interested as inflicting punishment as getting the win.
Back-and-forth until Dorado puts TJ down with a spinning heel kick, followed by a big chop. Hurricanarana sends Perkins to the floor, and Lince follows with a dive right at him. He rolls him back in for a two count off a moonsault. After a battle on the turnbuckles, a superkick and a bronco buster set Dorado up for his finisher, but TJP rips his mask off before he can hit it. The rollup comes while Lince tries to cover his face.
Perkins makes off with Dorado’s PR flag painted matraca as he leaves to add insult to injury.
- DRAKE MAVERICK has a meeting with Lio Rush, who informed him he won’t be able to compete in his scheduled match with Noam Dar because he got tied up in business for Bobby Lashley. DM tells him he doesn’t care what Rush does on Monday nights, but if he doesn’t honor his commitments to 205 Live, he won’t make any money. The Man of the Hour laughs and says he’ll see DRAKE and Noam next week. MAVERICK says he better, or there will be consequences.
- Another meeting for DM THE GM. Mustafa Ali thanks him for the warm-up match last week, but he’s itching for more - he wants revenge against Hideo Itami. MAVERICK says it’s his job to make the tough decisions. He saw the tune-up, but he also remembers Ali lying face down after his match before that against Hideo, and it’s a sight he never wants to see again. Mustafa starts to plead with him, but DRAKE cuts him off and says he’s spoken to the medical staff and Ali is cleared. He’ll face Itami next week. The Heart of 205 Live thanks him, saying DM won’t regret it - but Itami will.
- Both those matches are confirmed for next week.
- Cedric Alexander def. Drew Gulak via pinfall following a Lumbar Check to retain the Cruiserweight title
Cedric is out in black-and-red gear. The Philadelphia Stretcher has his Apollo/Rocky-tribute red, white and blue going. Jack Gallagher and The Brian Kendrick accompany Gulak to the ring, and we get the “big fight feel” spotlights and introductions.
[Had to step away and missed most of this - here are some highlights and GIFs until I get a chance to watch and fill this in later - sorry!]
- After a graphic confirming their match at Super Show-Down, Kayla Braxton interviews Buddy Murphy. He tips his cap to the champ and says his win streak is very impressive. But people tune in to 205 Live week in and week out to see him steal the show. And after he wins the belt in his hometown of Melbourne? All this will be his.