Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE NXT in its regular Wednesday night at 8PM Eastern time slot on WWE Network.
Check out our Wednesday morning preview post to get caught up on what's been happening, and what we expect this week.
We'll post match results here, and we will also have our regular reactions post later. In the meantime, and most importantly, this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever happens on WWE’s third brand - during its initial broadcast!
NOTE: Spoilers are out there for these pre-taped broadcasts (including here), but many Cagesiders don't partake. If you are going to post or discuss spoilers for this show before they happen, or results of future shows, please use the spoiler bar in your comment.
Enjoy the show!
- Cathy Kelley interviews General Manager William Regal about his busy office, which includes NXT’s legal team. She asks if this is related to the Aleister Black attack, and he tells her it is. He wants the NXT Universe to know his investigation starts tonight.
- Mauro Ranallo, Percy Watson and Nigel McGuinness are intro-ing the show when Johnny Gargano makes his way out onto the stage, walking with a crutch. Reaction is split, including some cheers for Tommaso Ciampa.
Johnny says the fans have always had his back, but he doesn’t deserve that right now. He told us he’d screwed up and would win the NXT Title in Brooklyn and start fixing things, but he didn’t. He doesn’t know where he goes from here. He lost more than a match in Brooklyn, he lost himself. Gargano doesn’t know how to fix things. At TakeOver, he became something he’s not proud of... in Brooklyn he became Ciampa. His former partner is in his head and he can’t control it. Johnny doesn’t know what we want anymore. He can’t get Tommaso out of his head, but he wants him out. He has to be better for us, for Candice, but he doesn’t know how!
Out comes Regal. The GM marches to the ring, mic in hand. Regal says he needs to ask Gargano (before Aleister Black returns and burns the whole place down), did you attack Aleister? Johnny answers by saying, “you know me - look into my eyes, you’ll know my answer”. They lock eyes and...
Velveteen Dream is here!
He’s not in the mood. He’s sick of sitting in the back and listening to the same old “Poor Johnny” sob story. Tonight shouldn’t be about Gargano, it certainly should about a man who’s not even in the building. Tonight should be about the man who took over Brooklyn, the trending topic, the Velveteen Dream. It definitely shouldn’t be about “Johnny Failure”.
Dream laughs as Gargano seethes. He says the doctor only gave him that crutch just in case. He throws it at Velveteen, but before they can lock up, Regal steps in. He sends Johnny to the back and Dream to his office. If they want to fight, they can have a match... next week!
- Percy and Nigel run down the three matches set for tonight. The ladies are up next.
- The ERA is getting ready backstage. Adam Cole paces while Roderick Strong and Bobby Fish strategize/joke around and Kyle O’Reilly tunes his belt.
- Dakota Kai def. Aliyah via pinfall following the Code Red-inverted backstabber
Kai with an early nearfall after a drop kick and double stomp. Another drop kick comes up empty when Aliyah holds the ropes, and Aliyah starts to go to work on her opponent’s back with a camel clutch and a crossface. A flurry from the heel leads to a Thesz press and some follow-up punches, then a cover. Aliyah locks Dakota in the body scissors and rolls her around the ring. Back on their feet, Kai backs her into the corner to escape. A flurry of kicks, including the Yakuza Kicks in the corner, sets up the finish.
- Regal and his lawyer finish up an interview with Dream, who ironically thanks them for not wasting his time. The Forgotten Sons (Wesley Blake, Steve Cutler and the wrestler formerly known as Gunner) are next. They’re glad they got a chance to finally talk to Regal because they want an opportunity, but of course they got his attention for the wrong reason. Blake explains why they couldn’t have attacked Black, and Regal tells them they’ll get their chance to impress him in a tag match next week.
- Mauro starts to talk about something else, but quickly throws it backstage where officials are running to EC3 as Lars Sullivan walks down the hallway. Sullivan evidently laid him out.
- Nikki Cross is being interviewed, but she keeps spinning in her chair while Regal tries to get her to tell him what she saw. She says she saw who did it, then asks if they hear the phone ringing (it’s not). She picks it up and says knows a secret. Bianca Belair storms in and says she’s tired of waiting. She proved she’s not injured, and deserves a title shot. Cross is impressed by her shiny outfit and tries to play with her, but Belair slaps her hand away. Nikki wants to play, and wants Mr. Regal to let them. Bianca storms out, saying to come find when he’s done playing with his little pet and makes the right decision. Nikki asks the GM if they’re done, and Regal says he still has lots of questions.
- Raul Mendoza is out for his match, as the announcers wonder who he’ll face. Sullivan comes out instead of EC3, and say that unlike the situation with Aleister, there’s no mystery about who took out EC3, it was him. And Mendoza is in his territory.
Don’t think this was a match. Mendoza evaded for a second, but gets headbutted out of the air and the segment ends with him taking two Freak Accidents.
- Tommaso Ciampa sets up a camera and sits with his belt. He says that when he was injured a year ago, he made a promise. He came back and fulfilled it, and now he holds the biggest prize in sports entertainment. It takes a certain kind of man to climb to the mountaintop. It takes another kind of man all together to build a nest there and call it home. NXT is his now, and no one will survive what comes next.
- Keith Lee def. Luke Menzies via pinfall after a Spirit Bomb
Another showcase for Lee. The former rugby player from the UK got a few moves in after Keith stopped to pose for some cheers, but otherwise it was a squash.
- Dunne and Ricochet are walking down the hall for the main event, with the Bruiserweight in particular really eyeing the North American Title. The King just smiles it off, but eyes the UK Title a bit himself.
- Hype video for the return of Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch! They’re back in two weeks. New Women’s Champ Kairi Sane will be back next week, when our main event will be Gargano vs. Dream.
- Undisputed ERA (
Kyle O’Reilly and Roderick Strong and Adam Cole) def. Pete Dunne and Ricochet via pinfall (Cole on Dunne following Last Shot, and a miscommunication which resulted in Ricochet taking out Dunne with a dive)
The Panama City Playboy wants a piece of the man who beat him for the belt in Barclays, so he tells Kyle to sit this on out.
Dunne turns Cole inside out with a clothesline and manipulates the digits. Ricochet in, and Cole begs off, saying “on my time”. Ric puts Roddy through the paces, but ends up in the wrong corner. He manages to fight out for some more nifty work with AC, but Strong with the blind tag sneaks up from Ricochet from behind while he’s jawing with Cole and hits him with a backbreaker. The heels go to work working over the NA Champ.
Ricochet does some great work fighting back, but can’t reach the corner for a long stretch. A loud drop kick from Roddy stands out duing this sequence, but there’s great work from all three men. King is eventually able to back Cole into the corner hard after knocking Strong from the apron, and dives for the hot tag. Dunne cleans house, ending by putting Roddy down with an enziguri, then X-plexing Cole onto him for a nearfall. He goes for triangle, which Strong fights off, but the UK Champ hits him with a suplex and a powerbomb for another cover, but Cole breaks it up before three.
He and Ricochet battle, the NA Champ ends up on the outside but springboards back in to take out Cole. All hell breaks loose, with the two UE members ending up on the floor where Dunne moonsaults onto them from the top. Ricochet tries to follow that up with a dive of his own, which ends up taking out the Bruiserweight. Cole rolls him back in for the final blow and the cover.
- The ERA drags Ric back into the ring to dish out some more punishment. War Raiders march to the ring and Undisputed scurries up the ramp and taunt them from there as Hanson and Rowe seethe in the ring.