205 Live is a consistently entertaining show, there’s little doubt about that. On Tuesday nights, fans are able to strap in and watch one hour of programming often featuring one or two of the best matches WWE will air that week.
It’s a secret little joy for many of us; something we know rewards our investment.
But is it also a death sentence for most of the 205 roster?
It’s a conversation picking up more steam with Neville’s contract status updated to “doesn’t have one.”
People are really missing the plot with Neville.— Voices of Wrestling (@voiceswrestling) August 26, 2018
Being a junior wasn't the issue. Being on the kids table brand with zero upward mobility, getting bumped from DVDs, and poor pay in relation to the rest of the roster was the issue.
In addition to this and everything else I laid out, they get one program at a time on the road, never work PPV proper, bumped from the video game, never get elevated.— Voices of Wrestling (@voiceswrestling) August 26, 2018
205 Live is a dead end where you don't make real main roster money. He'd "work junior" if it was worth it https://t.co/60MP1UpBXx
Those Voices of Wrestling tweets hit at the real issue: 205 Live is proving an inescapable circle.
It has its own feuds and programs, one of which gets to hit the road and work regularly.
Mustafa Ali is a man many tag as one of the “breakout stars” of 205 Live, and he has worked a total of six house show dates this year.
And there’s the lack of spots on PPV main cards, which kill the ability to collect royalties, and the particularly disturbing inclusion of them in the 2K series, but with contracts that remove the ability to collect royalties there as well.
It would be one thing to not be in the video game, but they are...with contracts that opt them out of video game royalties. On top of only 2 wrestlers getting house show bookings, virtually nonexistent PPV/DVD appearances, & no merch.— David Bixenspan (@davidbix) August 26, 2018
With a thriving indie scene, it’s no longer a necessity to look to WWE as the path to full-time pay as a wrestler.
And if you’re under 205 pounds, you’d seem to be well reasoned to stick to the indies, get your merch game strong and your calendar full.
- The Bellas are back to in-ring competition? The Bellas are back to in-ring competition.
- Raw is tonight, make sure you join us for our live blog.
- More SmackDown, more tag tournaments for PPV title shots.
- Chris Jericho is all about his own role in NJPW and indie wrestling booming.
- Do people want to see Ronda Rousey vs. Nikki Bella at Evolution, or have they forgotten how good Nikki had gotten in-ring?
- Natalya has been pretty incredible in the wake of her father’s death.
- Tonight’s Raw will start with a showdown between Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman — the man who found out the hard way The Shield has returned.
Another week starting, let’s hope for the best.
Instead of a closing gif, let’s just go with this:
Just normal stuff pic.twitter.com/H1zST37k3X— Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com (@SeanRossSapp) August 27, 2018