Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
This week, DM THE GM is giving four of his biggest stars a chance to prove they should be the next man to try and take the Cruiserweight Title away from Cedric Alexander. Mustafa Ali and Hideo Itami have both already failed to beat Ced, but DRAKE MAVERICK was impressed enough with their recent showings to give them another chance. Drew Gulak tapped out every member of Lucha House Party as part of his quest for a better 205 Live, and TJP finally turned his complaining into a meaningful win when he submitted Noam Dar last Tuesday. Now, we’ll find out who gets to challenge the soul of the purple brand.
That will undoubtedly take up the bulk of the episode in Evansville, Indiana tonight, but we should also get check-ins on the issues between Lio Rush and Akira Tozawa, as well as Buddy Murphy and Tony Nese taking out their frustrations on Kalisto, Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado.
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast at 10PM Eastern!
Enjoy the show!
- DRAKE MAVERICK’s now customary recap/main event hype opens the show. Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness and Percy Watson continue promoting the Fatal 4Way as they welcome us to Evansville. Nigel picks Gulak; Watson is backing Ali. DM THE GM joins the announce team.
- Gallagher gets a dark room selfie promo with The Brian Kendrick. He’s proved himself to be one-half of 205 Live’s top tag team, but many have forgotten how dangerous a singles competitor he is. He’ll prove it to Tozawa right now.
- Akira Tozawa def. Gentleman Jack Gallagher via pinfall following a top rope senton
Check out the hangtime for @TozawaAkira! pic.twitter.com/GgCxSumEAI— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
- Tozawa heads to the announce desk, telling MAVERICK he want Lio Rush next.
- TJP and Itami get promos backstage. Perkins is impressed DRAKE finally did the right thing. He’ll make the most of his oppotunity tonight. Hideo grumbles something in Japanese, then starts to look past the match tonight to promise he won’t lose to Alexander a second time.
- Kalisto and Lince Dorado cut a locker room promo running down Buddy Murphy and Tony Nese, right after Joseph informed us Nese couldn’t be here. He also informs us Gran Metalik is out of town dealing with a visa issue.
- Lucha House Party def. These Guys via pinfall (Kalisto with a Salina del Sol on That Guy)
- Gulak is in the locker room. Matches like the one he’s booked for tonight are emblematic of everything that’s wrong with 205 Live. But whoever steps to him will tap out. Then it’s Ali’s turn. All he needs to do tonight is weather some bone crushing kicks form Itami, take whatever TJP throws at him, and deal with torture from Drew. No problem.
- Dasha Fuentes catches up with Lio Rush. She asks about Tozawa asking for a rematch, and he says he’s already won that fight, so...
Whatcha thinking about, @itsLioRush? pic.twitter.com/x0SjApMYi5— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
- Drew Gulak def Hideo Itami, TJP and Mustafa Ali via submission in a Fatal 4Way to become Cedric Alexander’s next challenger for the Cruiserweight Championship
It’s the heels vs. Mustafa early. That largely remains the plan, but Perkins tries to roll-up Gulak out of a tandem suplex, which leads to some arguing and an opening for Mustafa to take them all out.
Here comes @MustafaAliWWE! pic.twitter.com/LeGZ02hHGH— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
Lots of great technical wrestling, occasionally broken up by a big Itami strike or Ali taking flight, or both...
.@HideoItami intercepts Ali! pic.twitter.com/jceKg438KE— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
All four men go, and stay down. After landing a crossbody on TJP just as he’s attempting one, Ali ends up needing to roll to the ground. That leads to Gulak telling Hideo he respects him, but that’s just the set-up for a striking exchange, and Drew kicking out at one after a falcon arrow before more strikes. They fight to the floor, and Ali makes to dive on them, but TJP cuts him off. He kicks him into the ring off the apron and tries to follow-up, but Itami and Gulak grab him.
Mustafa dives on all three men, and follows up with a 0-5-4 on Perkins. But Itami pulls him off the cover, then missle dropkicks him into the steel steps. After a follow-up of sending Ali face first into the ringpost...
Merciless @HideoItami! pic.twitter.com/CfklwfXONt— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
...Hideo went to roll Mustafa into the ring when Gulak attacked him from behind. He slid into the ring, slapped on the Gu-Lock and won the match when Ali failed to respond to the referee.
If you step to @DrewGulak, he will make you tap out! pic.twitter.com/SXzbc0coIB— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) July 25, 2018
- Afterwards, Cedric watched from a monitor backstage as Gallagher and The Brian Kendrick celebrated with the new #1 contender.