Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
We’ve been building to this since Cedric Alexander won the Cruiserweight Championship at WrestleMania 34 in April. Buddy Murphy’s made weight and will finally get his shot at the title, and Alexander will finally get a chance to get his hands on the Aussie after he crashed his victory celebration.
We’ll also be keeping our eye on TJP’s demand for better competition from DRAKE MAVERICK, and Drew Gulak’s war on Lucha House Party - and possible alliance with The Brian Kendrick and Gentleman Jack Gallagher (not to mention the first round UK Championship Tournament match of Gulak vs. Gallagher which has been announced).
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast at 10PM Eastern!
Enjoy the show!
- Video package recapping Buddy Murphy and Cedric Alexander’s post-WrestleMania program
- Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness and Percy Watson welcome us to The Coliseum in Raleigh, and we see champ and challenger prepping for the main event. Drew Gulak is the fourth man on commentary for our opener. A backstage promo from Lucha House Party aired during their entrance.
- The Brian Kendrick and Jack Gallagher def. Lucha House Party (Kalisto and Lince Dorado with Gran Metalik) via submission when Kendrick locks in the Captain’s Hook after Gulak pushed Dorado off the top rope before he could finish TBK with an aerial maneuver. Kalisto was face-in-peril for most of this ~6 minute match before getting the hot tag to Dorado, who seemed to be in position to pick up the win for his team until Gulak got involved.
- Recap of Hideo Itami’s win over Akira Tozawa
- 205 Live Superstars comment on the title match. Mustafa Ali says no one will take the belt of Ceddy but him. Tony Nese says Murphy will win because he’s the better athlete.
- Dasha Fuentes interviews DRAKE MAVERICK. She mentions Xavier Woods and Charlotte Flair tweeting about the title match, and DM THE GM says they’re not the only ones who are excited. All the Cruiserweights and fans of cruiserweight wrestlers will be on the edge of their seats. Dasha asks if MAVERICK saw TJP’s tweet saying he doesn’t care about tonight. The GM says respect is earned in the ring on 205 Live, and puts off Murphy and Alexander for earning their right to compete in one of the most anticipated matches in the history of the purple brand.
- Cedric Alexander def. Buddy Murphy via pinfall following Lumbar Check to retain his Cruiserweight Championship
Really good, as expected. Murphy got the upperhand early by sweeping the champ’s legs out from under him while he was standing on the announce table. From there he targeted Alexander’s back with the goal of taking away his finisher. Cedric battled back, of course, and they traded stretches where each man landed big shots but his opponent kicked out at 2.99. A couple of WOW moments: Alexander fought off the apron suplex to counter with a flatliner on the same spot, and Buddy caught the champ on his back when he tried a springboard back elbow, and spun him around in the air to land a DDT. The finish came after Ced hit two Neuralizers.