As his last act before taking an indefinite leave of absence from his role as Commissioner of SmackDown Live, Shane McMahon booked Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn for WrestleMania 34 on Sun., April 8, 2018, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. This after Zayn turned on Owens on SmackDown last week, then tried to strike up another alliance at Fastlane in the Six Pack Challenge match that was ultimately just a set up to turn on him again. McMahon managed to get in the middle of it, like he always does, costing both Zayn and Owens the WWE championship at various points in said match.
He admitted to stepping over the line in his role as Commissioner, hence the leave, but made sure to book the match before bailing. The two scorned wrestlers responded by beating him up and, according to WWE, injuring him.
Now, WWE.com is promoting Owens vs. Zayn for WrestleMania 34 like it’s actually going to take place. Considering the storyline, and especially the angle on SmackDown this week, it seems highly unlikely this will be the match we end up with involving these two. General Manager Daniel Bryan is scheduled to return to the blue brand next week and we can safely assume we’ll have a better idea of what the actual plan is once he arrives to clear all this up.
For now, though, it’s listed on the official match card. Here’s the rest of the official match card and line-up as currently advertised by WWE:
- Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns (Universal championship)
- Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey vs. Triple H & Stephanie McMahon
- AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE championship)
- Charlotte vs. Asuka (SmackDown women’s championship)
- The Miz vs. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor (Intercontinental championship)
- Cruiserweight Tournament Final
- Fabulous Moolah Memorial Battle Royal
- Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn