Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
We’re all the way to the semi-finals of General Manager DRAKE MAVERICK’s Cruiserweight championship tournament, and Mar. 13’s show from Indianapolis will tell us one of the two men who will battle for for belt at WrestleMania 34 on April 8!
Tonight’s match pits tourney favorite, and a man who was technically owed a match for the title when Enzo Amore’s release vacated it, Cedric Alexander against someone we didn’t even know would be on 205 Live until the field was announced, Roderick Strong.
Both men have defeated former Cruiserweight champions to get here, with Cedric taking out TJP after beating Gran Metalik in round one, and Roddy outlasting Kalisto following his opener against fellow NXT veteran Hideo Itami. The winner of tonight’s match will face whoever emerges from next week’s semi-final between Drew Gulak and Mustafa Ali.
Plus, there’s a tag scene popping up, with MAVERICK putting Itami with Akira Tozawa last week and Lucha House Party floating around. Could an announcement about an official championship for that division be forthcoming?
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast!
Enjoy the show!
- Highlights and recap of last Tuesday’s quarterfinal wins by Drew Gulak and Mustafa Ali and a quick preview of tonight’s semi between Cedric Alexander and Roderick Strong kick us off before the opening theme, then Vic Joseph and Nigel McGuinness welcome us to Indy
- Akira Tozawa and Hideo Itami def. Lince Dorado and Gran Metalik (accompanied by Kalisto) via pinfall with Itami’s GTS/Eat DeFeet on Metalik
Tozawa and Dorado start off. He and Metalik stay in the driver’s seat through the early part of the match. Lince gets two off a standing moonsault to Itami. Dorado showboats a little too much and catches a high knee from Hideo, and both Japanese Superstars work him over with strikes. Enziguri from Itami is followed up by a missle dropkick by Tozawa for two. After a standstill of punches and kicks, both men get tags. Metalik takes control with a crossbody and tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. While he hits a superkick and drop kick of his own, Dorado dives off the top to take out Tozawa. Metalik tweaks his knee trying for a double stop, and Hideo goes right to the finish.
When @WWEGranMetalik enters the fray, ALL bets are off!#205Live @LuchadorLD pic.twitter.com/GcjyEJ0JJk— WWE (@WWE) March 14, 2018
- Video package hyping Roderick Strong: Underdog wrestler
Is tonight's #205Live about to be a dream come true for @roderickstrong? pic.twitter.com/97Otp5piZh— WWE (@WWE) March 14, 2018
- DRAKE MAVERICK makes his way down the ramp to join commentary for our next match
- Gentleman Jack Gallagher def. Murphy Myers via pinfall following a head butt
While the three men at the announce desk put over Gallagher’s new serious attitude and the viciousness he showed in his tournament loss to Ali, Jack manipulates Myers digits and drops him neck first on the top rope. When Gallagher takes a moment to stare at DM the GM, Myers attacks as he’s getting back in the ring. But the Brit ties him up in the apron and pins him a short time later.
#205Live General Manager @WWEMaverick has a front row seat as @GentlemanJackG makes a STATEMENT! pic.twitter.com/f65EpKkLFd— WWE (@WWE) March 14, 2018
- Alexander’s video package covers his journey since joining WWE, how his style differs from the rest of the roster and how he will win the big one this time and head to WrestleMania
- Mustafa Ali gets a promo in a dark hallway. He talks about what Drew Gulak did to Mark Andrews, and promises to deal with “that bully”. A mysterious hooded figure walks up behind him, charges and takes out the camera to end the video.
- Cedric Alexander def. Roderick Strong via pinfall when he counters End of Heartache with an inside cradel to advance to the Cruiserweight title match at WrestleMania 34
Both men try to ground the other and break when neither can get the takedown. A similar standstill comes off speed maneuvers, then it looks like Cedric is getting an advantage , but Roddy hits the ropes when he tries to springboard off the apron to take control.
Ced handstand springboard back elbow attempt takes him right into a drop kick and a two count. All Strong for a while, but drop toe hold sends Roddy straight into a turnbuckle. After slingshotting Strong to the floor, Alexander throws him back in the ring after a plancha, hits a springboard clothesline for a nearfall.
Lumbar check blocked, they battle on the apron and Strong eventually hits his first backbreaker out of a half-nelson for two. Cedric escapes another backbreaker set-up, then hits the Neuralyzer and his finisher, but Roddy gets his foot on the ropes to stop the count!
Battling on their feet, Strong gets Alexander on his shoulders on the apron. Cedric tries to slip out, but gets thrown back first into the LED ringpost! He twitches on the floor, but manages to get on the apron at the ref’s count of nine and land some kicks to stay alive. A short time later he’s up in the corner and on the receiving end of a devastating Superplex! Alexander kicks out!
Roddy tries to life Ced, but Alexander is dead weight and falls to the floor. Striking exchange ends when Cedric misses a back elbow and Roddy hits a high knee. End of Heartache! But Ced gets his foot on the bottom rope!
Toe-to-toe, they throw hands in the middle of the ring. Roddy counters another Lumbar Check attempt with a cradle; Alexander kicks out. Big knee by Strong, but when he goes in for the finish...
Did @roderickstrong really just SURVIVE @CedricAlexander's #LumbarCheck?! #205Live pic.twitter.com/L7jeQknPJt— WWE (@WWE) March 14, 2018
- An emotional Strong nods his respects and rolls out. Dasha Fuentes interviews Alexander in the ring. He fights back tears and silences “you deserve it” chants by saying he earned it. He has a 4 year old daughter at home who calls him a champion every day, and at WrestleMania he plans to make it official.