Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
New General Manager DRAKE MAVERICK’s first announcement concerned how the vacant Cruiserweight championship would be addressed. The solution was a tournament, and after TJP and Cedric Alexander won the first two opening round matches last week, we’re heading straight into more action tonight.
Hideo Itami’s quest for respect continues with a match against an old rival, as NXT’s Roderick Strong makes his main roster debut in Kansas City. And it’s luchador against luchador in our other match, when Lince Dorado faces Kalisto.
We also still don’t know the identities of all 16 men in the tourney field. Will we get more answers from MAVERICK here? Is Drew Gulak okay after that Lumbar Check on Raw?
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast!
Enjoy the show!
- We open with a recap of last week. The introduction of DRAKE MAVERICK and a look back at the first two matches of his title tournament - TJP over Tyler Bate and Cedric Alexander’s win over Gran Metalik
- Vic Joseph and Nigel McGuinness welcome us, praise MAVERICK and run down tonight’s two tournament matches. The first of which starts right now... after an Instagram promo from Kalisto, saying the #LuchaHouseParty will continue, but he plans to reclaim his Cruiserweight championship after he beats Lince Dorado. “Let the best man win...”
- Kalisto def. Lince Dorado via pinfall following Salida Del Sol in a first round Cruiserweight Title Tournament match; after an aggressive handshake and a glance at the WrestleMania sign, we get an acrobatic standoff. They take turns wiping one another out with dives toward the announce desk. Big spot comes when Dorado hits a super-rana from the top rope, but even though he lands on his feet, he can’t follow-up with a cover. After some more back-and-forth, Kalisto lands a maneuver of his own from the top for two, but Dorado eventually hits Golden Rewind and follows up with a Shooting Star Press, but Lince again can’t cover and Kalisto rolls out. Back in, he rolls up Dorado, then hits Salida del Sol, but Dorado grabs the ropes at 2.5. The second SDS comes after a springboard reverse Rana. Lince raises Kalisto hand after the referee.
- Video package on Roddy, which is contains clips and narration from his great, multi-part “Who is Roderick Strong?” series on NXT
- Selfie promo from Cedric Alexander, saying no one will stand in his way and Mustafa Ali
- TJP sitdown promo. He reads criticism of his win over Tyler Bate from Twitter. It’s tough to give everything you have to something like he has with wrestling. In the Cruiserweight Classic, he gave it all because fans believed in him. Now that we don’t, he’s doing it for himself this time.
- Akira Tozawa and Mark Andrews happens next week. We get Andrews UK/NXT video package. Tozawa gets a selfie promo. When random backstage guy picks Mandrews in their match, Akira channels Mr. McMahon and tells the guy that after he wins, he’s FIRED. Tozawa struts off.
- Drew Gulak and Tony Nese head into a meeting with DRAKE MAVERICK. The GM asks Gulak what happened to him. He used to be the most rugged grappler on 205 Live, and now he’s a goof. Nese laughs, and DRAKE shuts him down, saying he used to be an athletic marvel, but now all he wants to do is count his abs. Next week, they’ll face each other in a first round match, and MAVERICK wants to see who steps up to the plate and gets serious.
- Itami inset promo during his entrance, putting over Strong but saying he doesn’t belong on his show. He’s winning and going all the way to WrestleMania.
- Roderick Strong def. Hideo Itami via pinfall following End of Heartache to advance to the secind round of the Cruiserweight Title Tournament; After the feeling out process, cover for Roddy off a drop kick, then one for Hideo after a knee to the back of the head; It’s all Roddy for a while as he targets Itami’s left arm; a DDT and clotheline put Hideo back in charge, and he earns another nearfall with a clothesline from the top; set-up for the GTS, but Strong counters, hits an Angle Slam and then nails an apron back breaker; taking too long to roll him in for a cover, Hideo comes back with a Falcon Arrow for 2; Strong reaches the ropes to break a modified Rings of Saturn submission; Itami kicks out after another gutbuster and Cloud 9; Strong survives a Super Falcon Arrow, kicking out at 2! Great moment. Hideo follows up with strikes and a missile drop kick in the corner, but Roddy gets up while he’s running the ropes and hits him with the jumping knee. Then it’s his finishing backbreaker for a huge,surprising win!
#WWENXT Superstar @roderickstrong is having an impressive #205Live debut, but he has a tough task ahead as he battles @HideoItami in the @WWE #Cruiserweight Championship tournament! pic.twitter.com/G27bjPwNwP— WWE (@WWE) February 7, 2018
- Strong looks at the sign while Itami sits stewing on the apron