Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
New General Manager DRAKE MAVERICK’s Cruiserweight championship tournament rolls on, as four men compete to see who will join Cedric Alexander, TJP, Kalisto and Roderick Strong in round two.
Tonight’s action features a couple of guys motivated by MAVERICK, albeit in different ways. Tony Nese and Drew Gulak were called out for getting a little too goofy on The Zo Train, and Nese in particular responded - and remembered how his buddy Drew helped the former champ kick his butt at one point. Akira Tozawa really wanted to be GM, and might even think that a win tonight over debuting UK high flier Mark Andrews will let his say “YOU’RE FIRED” to some people.
Plus, WWE.com’s official preview is teasing the reveal of one more surprise name to the field. Whoever it is will join Gentleman Jack Gallagher, Mustafa Ali and Ariya Daivari in next week’s final first round matches (one possible wrestler is... named here).
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast!
Enjoy the show!
- Vic Joseph and Nigel McGuinness welcome us to Bakersfield
- Mark Andrews is interviewed backstage. He’s excited to be a part of the tournament that has people talking, and is looking forward to continuing on to WrestleMania and becoming champ.
- Mark Andrews def. Akira Tozawa via pinfall after rolling through a cradle attempt to advance to the second round of Cruiserweight Title Tournament; another back and forth, more than ten minute affair in the style of the Cruiserweight Classic. Andrews connected with Stundog Millionaire but couldn’t get both shoulders down. He hit a SuperRana but missed with his Shooting Star Press follow-up attempt. Tozawa connected with an enziguri, but his follow-up cover was reversed as another newcomer picked up a win.
- DRAKE MAVERICK interrupts a Gentleman Jack Gallagher promo for some motivation. His countryman likes Jack’s suit, but wants him to show up in wrestling attire next week and get focused. Gallagher faces Mustafa Ali in one of the final two first round matches next week.
- The final member of the field of 16 is... Buddy Murphy! The former NXT Tag champ (and future Mr. Alexa Bliss?) gets a video package talking about how making weight was the hardest thing he’s ever done. MAVERICK presides over a weigh-in. The Aussie makes it at 204.4 lbs, and will face Ariya Daivari next week.
- Drew Gulak def. Tony Nese via submission/referee stoppage with a Dragon Sleeper to advance to the second round of Cruiserweight Title Tournament; this one went more than 15 minutes. After offering his hand to his former partner at the bell, the story eventually because Gulak getting more vicious. After an stiff-sounding exchange of strikes, Drew slammed Nese into the announce desk until the official made him stop.The referee had to stop him from smashing Nese into the announce desk. Back in the ring, he turned him around with a lariat and powerbombed him twice before locking in the last hold.