The first part of this week was extremely chaotic for WWE, as a late decision by Vince McMahon and an in-ring mishap caused changes to the main event matches at one of the company’s biggest pay-per-view (PPV) events of the year - Survivor Series.
That’s not the only show impacted by one of those events, however. Also effected is what WWE is trying to establish as one of their biggest non-televised live event brands - the post-Thanksgiving Starrcade house show.
The 2018 version, set for Sat., Nov. 24 in Cincinnati’s U.S. Bank Arena, didn’t look like it was going to be as big a deal as last year’s return in the event’s old JCP/NWA/WCW home base of Greensboro, North Carolina. But it was still loaded, and had among its headlining matches a steel cage match featuring a Flair and one of the hottest acts in wrestling.
But the latter had her face broken on the Nov. 12 episode of Raw, so WWE had to do some juggling. Per the venue, here’s the latest line-up for Starrcade ‘18, without a Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch steel cage match:
- Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose in a Street Fight for the Intercontinental championship
- Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin
- AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe in a Steel Cage match
- Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Rey Mysterio for the US title
- The Bar vs. The New Day for the Smackdown Tag Team championship
- Special Concert - Elias with Ric Flair
- Finn Bálor vs. Drew McIntyre
- The Miz vs. Rusev
- Scheduled to appear: Charlotte Flair, Alexa Bliss, Dolph Ziggler
The other notable change is to Strowman’s booking, which was a handicap match against Ziggler & McIntyre, but has been updated to reflect the feud he’s killing time in waiting for Universal champ Brock Lesnar to return.
It’s also interesting that without Lynch and with Ronda Rousey never scheduled for the show, even in the midst of WWE’s Women’s Evolution, there’s no women’s match being promoted.
Still Starrcade worthy? You tell us, Cagesiders.