The episode of 205 Live which debuts on WWE Network tonight (Oct. 24) will be the 100th of the series. To commemorate the occassion, WWE.com’s Kevin Powers crafted a list of the ten best matches from the past almost two years worth of shows.
Almost positive I’ve seen all 100 episodes, and while these probably wouldn’t be my exact ten, they’re a really good sampling. Bonkers multi-man affairs are a staple, as they should be on something designed to showcase great workers. And there’s a hefty dose of the man who, for my money, has been the breakout star of the purple brand even though he’s never worn its belt - Mustafa Ali.
Really, if I made a list it would probably be all Ali, so I’m glad Powers did it instead.
Here’s a playlist of highlights from each match (and the gauntlet is a bit of a cheat, since it’s really three matches, but I’m not complaining):
10. Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Gentleman Jack Gallagher vs. Noam Dar vs. TJP – Fatal 5-Way Elimination Match to determine a #1 Contender for the Cruiserweight title, Feb. 7, 2017
9. Akira Tozawa vs. The Brian Kendrick – Street Fight, May 23, 2017
8. Mustafa Ali vs. TJP vs. Drew Gulak vs. Tony Nese vs. Kalisto – Gauntlet match, April 24, 2018
7. Rich Swann vs. TJP, July 4, 2017
6. Kalisto vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Buddy Murphy vs. TJP, Mar. 27, 2018
5. Cedric Alexander vs. Roderick Strong: Mar. 13, 2018
4. Cedric Alexander vs. Buddy Murphy — WWE Cruiserweight championship match, May 29, 2018
3. Mustafa Ali vs. Drew Gulak – 2-out-of-3 Falls Match, July 18, 2017
2. Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali, Jan. 23, 2018
1. Mustafa Ali vs. Buddy Murphy – No Disqualification Match, July 3, 2018
Word is viewership has improved since new episodes started getting released pre-taped on Wednesdays as opposed to live on Tuesday, and hopefully that’s true. I can forget about 205 Live in the deluge of wrestling content each week (from WWE alone!), but the cruiserweights consistently offer some of the best action I see.
Long may they fly.