First, wrestling fans said most wrestling media wouldn’t touch the WWE/Saudi Arabia/Khashoggi situation. When that proved false, there was a change to a narrative the mainstream media wouldn’t care, so it still didn’t matter.
Except that has been proven untrue as well. The story was already being bounced around the media while senators were starting to apply pressure — albeit gentle pressure — on WWE to rethink the upcoming Crown Jewel event.
John Oliver made it even easier for media looking to crack into the story of WWE’s government propaganda events in Saudi Arabia.
If you don’t have time to watch the entire segment — which you should watch — here are the highlights:
Here are the sections about WWE from the feature story about Saudi Arabia on the new “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” that premiered earlier tonight on HBO. pic.twitter.com/NNOVgzVftW— David Bixenspan (@davidbix) October 15, 2018
More and more media attention is coming, and as the Khashoggi story continues to develop, WWE’s relationship with the Saudi government represents an easy target.
While Vince McMahon and crew appear steadfast in their resolve to go ahead with the show, they’re also making some bizarre modifications to the WWE.com website. The Crown Jewel event was removed from the schedule entirely for a brief time yesterday, but WWE confirmed they were going ahead with the event and it showed back up.
But, the event page has stripped location information out.
Any scrubbing they’ve done to the website won’t cover for the truth: a larger segment of the world is now watching WWE turn a wild profit while going morally bankrupt.
- Bound For Glory was last night and there was some good wrestling and some dumb, dumb, dumb extra-dimensional stuff. Check out our recap and reactions.
- Also, Austin Aries’ no-sell of the ending and walkout has people doing the old “shoot or work?” dance.
- Get down with our WWE Raw preview.
- Here’s a quick look at a few matches announced for tonight’s show.
- This Shawn Michaels comeback match is a less than perfect way for one of the greats to come back to the ring.
- Everything about Kurt Angle in the Conquistador outfit is great — and also kinda gross.
Let’s go outside the ring for our Monday morning gif.