NXT is back - but for the first time, they’re not filming at their home base of Full Sail Live. Instead, Triple H has taken the franchise to WCW’s old stomping grounds in Atlanta where they'll tape matches and segments for their regular Wednesday night series on WWE Network at Center Stage.
Tonight’s show (Jan. 4) will finish the build to TakeOver: Philadelphia, and maybe even include some material from after Jan. 27’s live special on the eve of Royal Rumble. And we’re not going back to Full Sail anytime soon, since they won’t tape again until Feb. 1 in this same venue.
Only two matches are set for Philly, so tonight’s action will tell us what and who will be joining Johnny Gargano’s challenge of NXT champion Andrade “Cien” Almas and Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black in Wells Fargo Center.
We’ll know more when results start rolling in from The ATL. We'll be updating those here live, starting at the scheduled 6:30PM Eastern bell time:
- Candice LeRae over Vanessa Borne in your dark match to kick the evening off.
- Kassius Ohno over Raul Mendoza.
- Shayna Baszler over Dakota Kai by referee stoppage after a devastating kick to the elbow. Afterwards, Baszler chokes her out until Ember Moon makes the save!
- Lars Sullivan over Lio Rush. After the match, Lars challenges Killian Dain to a match and hits an avalanche Freak Accident on Rush!
- Undisputed Era vs. SAnitY is announced but it turns out Cole, Fish, and O’Reilly had beat SAnitY up in the back. Nikki Cross tries to avenge her teammates but referees hold her back and keep her from taking Undisputed out by herself.
- William Regal’s not about to let them get away without a fight, so he introduces a replacement pair of opponents for reDRagon... Aleister Black and Roderick Strong!
- Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) over Aleister Black & Roderick Strong. The match saw Adam Cole run interference and get Black distracted fighting him through the crowd, leaving Roddy isolated.
- This leads William Regal to make Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole at TakeOver: Philadelphia into an Extreme Rules Match!
- Andrade “Cien” Almas over Kassius Ohno in a non-title match.
- Riddick Moss & Tino Sabbatelli over Heavy Machinery (Otis Dozovic & Tucker Knight)
- Lacey Evans over Aliyah. After the match, Lacey cuts a promo and gets run off by Shayna Baszler. Shayna attacks Aliyah and Ember Moon again makes the save and this time outright challenges Baszler.
- William Regal makes Moon vs. Baszler official for TakeOver: Philadelphia, with the NXT Women’s Championship on the line!
- Johnny Gargano vs. Velveteen Dream is announced for later in the show with Johnny’s #1 contendership on the line, but first...
- Roderick Strong over Fabian Aichner. After the match, Roddy calls Lars Sullivan out.
- Johnny Gargano cuts a promo.
- Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) over Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) to become #1 contenders to the NXT Tag Team Championship.
- No Way Jose over Cezar Bononi.
- Bianca Belair over enhancement talent.
- Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) have a match scheduled against “Cauliflower” Chase Brown and another local talent but instead choose to attack them before the bell and call Undisputed Era out.
- Johnny Gargano (c) over Velveteen Dream to retain the #1 contendership to the NXT Championship.
- After the match, Andrade “Cien” Almas and Zelina Vega come out for a staredown to close the tapings out.
There you have it, folks
Vignettes and backstage stuff aside, that’s the build to TakeOver: Philadelphia. Like what you see, Cagesiders?