Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
After a six-man Kickoff match at Royal Rumble which saw TJP get frustrated with partners Drew Gulak and Jack Gallagher after another loss to the lucha trio of Kalisto, Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado, the Cruiserweights got the night off on Monday - probably to rest up for an eventful episode tonight. A new General Manager will be revealed, and that person will tell us how the next champion will be determined after Enzo Amore’s release left the title “in abeyance”.
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast!
Enjoy the show!
- After the opening theme, SmackDown LIVE General Manager Daniel Bryan is here, and Rockstar Spud is standing next to him. Bryan says in Summer of 2016, he was part of the Cruiserweight Classic, and it made him extremely proud. He’s equally proud to introduce us to the man who will lead 205 Live to the same kind of quality action we got from the CWC. He introduces us to DRAKE MAVERICK (Nigel McGuinness and Vic Joseph quickly point out his name was Rockstar Spud).
- Maverick is excited to be here in WWE, and to lead 205 Live. First thing they need to do is crown a new champion, and they’ll do that with a 16 person single elimination tournament, the finals of which will take place at WrestleMania 34. We’re getting two first round matches tonight...
- Cedric Alexander def. Gran Metalik via pinfall following a Lumbar Check; good match that continues the trend of post-Enzo 205 Live returning to longer bouts and more action; Metalik looked to have this 10 minute match in hand after countering Cedric’s finisher into a DDT, but his follow-up moonsault attempt ate feet and Alexander ended it.
- We get a look at Tyler Bate (with the same video package viewers of the United Kingdom Championship Tournament and NXT have seen, with the addition of his recent NXT Match of the Year award from last Saturday)
- Gentleman Jack Gallagher gets a selfie promo where he says he’s excited a fellow countryman is running the show, and hopes he knows how important it will be to have a fellow Englishman represent the brand at ‘Mania.
- Maverick is instructing a backstage crew member on his plans when Drew Gulak approached with a big bouqet of roses. He offers them to the new GM on behalf of the part of the roster which craves law and order. Drew is excited to see what he has in store. After he walks off, Drake busts out a big grin and shoves the roses off to the stage hand.
- Mustafa Ali walks into a set which looks like a reality show “testimonial”. He sits in a chair and talks about how great last week was, when he and his boy Cedric tore the house down while the fans chanted “This Is Awesome”. But then he lost. And that stung, but Ali says it will give him the motivation he needs for the tournament, so he can go to New Orleans and become champ.
"I'm not going to be the guy that just goes out there and steals the show. Now, I'm going to be the guy that goes out there and steals the show AND punches his ticket to #WrestleMania!" - @MustafaAliWWE #205Live pic.twitter.com/jyR2iB38un— WWE (@WWE) January 31, 2018
- Dasha Fuentes is ready to interview TJP, but first he makes her introduce him as “first ever Cruiserweight champ TJP”. She starts to ask him about his match with Bate when he complains about everyone’s short attention span, and how he won the CWC to become the first champ. The GM interupts to say TJP is living in the past, and he’s facing a hungry competitor in Tyler Bate. Maverick wants to know if he’s gonna see the TJP who won the CWC tonight, or the one who whines and complains all the time.
- Selfie promo with Akira Tozawa, who is disappointed he won’t be the first GM, but is excited he’ll get to be in the tournament. When he wins the title at WrestleMania, he’s looking forward to firing a crew member (he shows us this by turning the camera on one and telling him “You’re FIRED” in his best Vince voice before walking away with a McMahon strut).
- TJP def. Tyler Bate via pinfall following a roll-up with a handful of tights; Perkins targeting Bate’s leg throughout and it kept him from being able to hit Tyler Driver ‘97. The finish came as a counter to that.
The Road to #WrestleMania is taking a little detour to MUSTACHE MOUNTAIN as @Tyler_Bate takes it to @megatjp in the first round of the @WWE #Cruiserweight Championship tournament! #205Live pic.twitter.com/IXYFCMuDBQ— WWE (@WWE) January 31, 2018
- Next week’s matches are Kalisto vs. Lince Dorado and Roderick Strong in his main roster debut against Hideo Itami.