Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE 205 Live as it airs on WWE Network.
The big news for the Cruiserweight division isn’t that they held their first house shows this past weekend, or that they had a title match set for pay-per-view (PPV) this Sunday, Jan. 28 at Royal Rumble. Well, it is kind of that second thing, since the champ was released by WWE today, and
there have been no announcements about the future of the now vacant title now we’ll start the show with SmackDown General Manager Daniel Bryan addressing the future of the now vacant title.
Instead, the official preview for this episode - which will again air after SmackDown and Mixed Match Challenge at around 10:20PM Eastern - focuses on the brand’s B-stories: Gentleman Jack Gallagher’s quest for revenge against Hideo Itami after a GTS put his partner The Brian Kendrick on the shelf and TJP trying to get a win to go with his confidence in his rivalry with Gran Metalik and Kalisto.
We'll post match results and plot developments here. And this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever goes down on the WWE’s cruiserweight showcase - while it’s being broadcast!
Enjoy the show!
- SmackDown LIVE General Manager Daniel Bryan delivers a pre-taped address saying Enzo Amore has “abdicated” the title, which is now “in abeyance”. Next week, a General Manager of 205 Live will be named, and they’ll decide the direction of the division and title.
- Gran Metalik, Lince Dorado and Kalisto def. Tony Nese, TJP and Ariya Daivari via pinfall (Dorado on TJP following a springboard handspring stunner) after Perkins bumped into Nese on the apron and chastised him for not being in the corner
- Afterwards, TJ continued to yell at his teammates until Tony shoved him to the ground and he and Daivari walked off
- Backstage (at a podium with an American flag behind it), Drew Gulak (in a suit) voices his support for the decision to name a GM. 205 Live need authority to rid the show of the flipping, diving and high flying that has plagued it for so long and turn it into a Drew-topia.
- Inset promo from Itami before the match. He says what happened to The Brian Kendrick was not his fault. Injuries happen. But he respects Kendrick, he does not respect Gallagher.
- Hideo Itami def. Gentleman Jack Gallager via pinfall following a Inverted facelock dropped into a Pele kick/knee strike; Gallagher sells damage to his eye afterwards
- Akira Tozawa with a cell phone video auditioning for GM, showing off his Vince impression by telling some guy backstage he’s “FIRED”
- Cedric Alexander films himself in the locker room addressing the title situation. Even though he’s not getting his championship opportunity on Sunday, the mission is the same. He’ll bring in the Age of Alexander in 2018, and he will be the Cruiserweight champ.
- Cedric Alexander def. Mustafa Ali via pinfall following Lumbar Check after Ali comes up empty on an Inverted 450; shows of good sportsmanship before and after the match from the babyfaces who were painted as frontrunners to be next champ. Really fun match.