Another element of Mixed Match Challenge has been revealed - the charities each of the 12 teams of male and female Superstars will be representing in the tag team tournament.
The great news is, all of the organizations will be getting a spotlight shined on them just by being included, and receive a $10,000 donation from WWE just for being involved. The potentially less great news is that knowing which teams are representing which charities could give pretty big clues to who has a realistic chance of winning. But it’s all scripted, and it’s not like existing booking doesn’t give a bunch of clues, anyway.
Here’s the press release with the full scoop:
WWE® SUPPORTS 12 CHARITIES WITH NEW FACEBOOK WATCH SHOW
STAMFORD, Conn., January 12, 2018 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) today unveiled the 12 charitable organizations paired up with WWE Superstars competing in Mixed Match Challenge, a single-elimination mixed tag-team tournament, where the winning team will receive $100,000 to support their charity of choice. Mixed Match Challenge is a 12-week tournament that will stream live in the U.S. exclusively on Facebook Watch beginning this Tuesday, January 16 at 10 p.m. ET.
“Giving back is in WWE’s DNA and part of our long history, so we are thrilled that each Mixed Match Challenge team will compete to win the grand prize of $100,000 to support organizations that are truly important to them,” said Michelle Wilson, WWE Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer. “This unique and exciting content partnership with Facebook allows us to raise awareness and funds for important initiatives and supports our mission of putting smiles on people’s faces around the world.”
Mixed Match Challenge Charities/Teams
In addition to the $100,000 grand prize, each team’s charitable organization will automatically receive $10,000.
The charities and teams include:
* Americares helps save lives and improve health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Represented by: Bayley™ and Elias™.
* Boys & Girls Clubs of America provides the resources needed to enable all young people, especially those who need them most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Represented by: Jimmy Uso™ & Naomi®.
* Connor’s Cure raises awareness and funds for pediatric cancer research, in partnership with The V Foundation and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Represented by: Alexa Bliss™ and Braun Strowman®.
* Girl Up, a United Nations Foundation initiative, inspires and connects girls globally through its leadership program that positions girls to be changemakers in their communities. Represented by: Bobby Roode™ and Charlotte Flair®.
* Global Citizen encourages the collective actions of people around the world with the goal of ending extreme poverty by 2030. Represented by: Lana® and Rusev®.
* Hire Heroes USA empowers U.S. military members, veterans and military spouses to succeed in the civilian workforce. Represented by: Alicia Fox® and Goldust®.
* KaBOOM! is dedicated to making sure all kids get the childhood they deserve through great, safe places to play. Represented by: Big E™ and Carmella™.
* Make-A-Wish creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Represented by: Natalya® and Shinsuke Nakamura®.
* Rescue Dogs Rock is an animal rescue organization whose goal is to provide homeless, neglected or abused dogs the medical care they need and the loving home they deserve. Represented by: Asuka™ and The Miz®.
* UNICEF works in more than 190 countries and territories to put children first and works towards the day when no children suffer from preventable causes. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF’s work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Represented by: Becky Lynch® and Sami Zayn®.
* Special Olympics is a global inclusion movement using sport, health, education and leadership programs every day around the world to empower people with intellectual disabilities. Represented by: Finn Bálor® and Sasha Banks®.
* Susan G. Komen’s mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. Represented by: Apollo Crews® and Nia Jax™.
Let us know if this changes your picks. In case you missed the bracket reveal from yesterday, it’s right here.