Here's a place to check results and comment along with the latest airing of WWE NXT in its regular Wednesday night at 8PM Eastern time slot on WWE Network.
Check out our Wednesday morning preview post to get caught up on what's been happening, and what we expect this week.
We'll post match results here, and we will also have our regular reactions post later. In the meantime, and most importantly, this gives you Cagesiders a dedicated place to rave and/or bitch about whatever happens on WWE’s third brand - during its initial broadcast!
NOTE: Spoilers are out there for these pre-taped broadcasts (including here), but many Cagesiders don't partake. If you are going to post or discuss spoilers for this show before they happen, or results of future shows, please use the spoiler bar in your comment.
Enjoy the show!
- We start with a rundown of the issues between Hideo Itami and Kassius Ohno, stretching back to their locker room confrontation after TakeOver: Chicago
- Mauro Ranallo runs down tonight’s two main event-caliber segments
- Zelina Vega joins Ranallo, Nigel McGuinness and Percy Watson at the announce desk for our first match. She says she’s not concerned with Adam Cole’s crew because they’re not in Andrade “Cien” Almas’ way. Percy asks about their relationship, and Vega says she met Cien in Mexico seven years ago, and he brought her on to help with his career. When he follows up insinuating that there might be something more than professional about their relationship, she snaps at him and tells Watson to mind his business. Zelina takes credit for Andrade’s new aggression in the ring, and says she slapped sense into him to get him to stop partying.
- Andrade “Cien” Almas def. Cezar Bononi via pinfall following a hammerlock DDT (~3:00). Almas ended a brief Bononi comeback with a loud forearm, the put him away after Vega yelled “FINISH HIM” from commentary.
- Flashback to last week’s show closing segment when Cole, Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly beat down NXT champ Drew McIntyre until General Manager William Regal drove them off. Regal issues a statement from his office saying he’s made it clear to the trio there will be no more attacking people in the car park or on stage - the fighting only happens in the ring from now on.
- Christy St. Cloud is standing outside Asuka’s locker room hoping to get a statement on what she’ll tell the universe tonight. The Velveteen Dream walks up and says he said he wouldn’t speak until the ambiance is right - and it’s not. But he saw a man at TakeOver: Brooklyn who needs “The Experience”, so Dream will speak... soon.
- Lars Sullivan enters to some new (I think?) music, and tells the referee he doesn’t want a tag match, he wants to face all three men at once.
- Lars Sullivan in a 3-on-1 handicap match
- Sullivan’s match is weirdly edited (or my feed jumped just after it started) to show a recap of SAnitY being found in the parking lot last week. Mauro says they received a video message from the tag champs for Cole, Fish and O’Reilly. Eric Young is lying on his back with a light off the the side. He says they noticed the trio dances different, and so do they. One day in the future, Cole and company are gonna look back and realize what they’ve done to SAnitY was a mistake. The champs only care about one thing... Alexander Wolfe’s head fills the frame to say “CHAOS”. Nikki Cross giggles in the background of the whole thing.
- Sonya Deville def. Zeda via submission with an armbar out of a triangle (~1:30). This was quick, right after a knee strike
- Footage of Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch working over a couple guys at the Performance Center as Regal watches is shown. Ruby Riot approaches to ask for a handicap match against Peyton Royce and Billie Kay. The GM says he can’t do that, but he can give her a tag match with a partner of her choosing. Ruby says she doesn’t care what it’s called, as long as she gets a chance to shut the Iconic Duo up in the ring.
- Kassius Ohno def. Hideo Itami in a No Disqualification match via pinfall following a Rolling Elbow after a low blow (~9:30). Big spots a suplex of Ohno onto the ramp, and a hesitation drop kick from Itami while Kassius had a chair over his face in the corner.
- Next week will feature Riot against Royce and Kay, and a UK title match between Pete Dunne and Wolfgang
- Regal is in the ring. It’s his honor and privilege to introduce the NXT Women’s champ to us. Asuka hits the stage with the belt on her shoulder, wearing a gray suit/black blouse combo. She shakes the GM’s hand and takes the mic. She says she’s been in NXT for almost two years. She’s fought so many great Superstars - SHE LOVES NXT! She’s grown so much here, and is grateful for NXT.
- The GM cuts in to say that since winning the Women’s title, The Empress has done nothing but defend the title with honor. She’s been willing to do anything, as she proved at TakeOver: Brooklyn. Asuka is without a doubt one of the best champions in WWE history. He’s here to announce that he and the champ have started negotiations with the GMs of Raw and SmackDown. But that’s a bittersweet moment, because Asuka will be stepping down as NXT champ. The crowd chants “NO”, but Regal says the world is about to find out what we already know...
- The now-former champ screams “NO ONE IS READY FOR ASUKA!”
- A “Thank you Asuka” chant starts as the roster hits the stage to give her a standing ovation. She says wherever she goes, NXT will come with her.
- Ember Moon cuts through the crowd on stage to walk down to the ring as Asuka smiles at her. They have a staredown (with smiles on their faces) and Ember offers her hand, but pulls it back when Asuka offers her in a callback to their last contract signing. They hug instead, and Moon raises Asuka’s hand. They hug again as Triple H makes his way to the ring.
- Papa gives Asuka a handshake and a hug. This is the first time we see her tear up. He hands her a bouqet of red roses and poses with her and the title before taking it away. Trips tells the crowd “One last time, I give you the undefeated, 523 day champion... The Empress of Tomorrow - ASUKA!”
- “Thank you Asuka” takes us out.