WWE's Great Balls of Fire lasted for 3 hours 4 minutes and 57 seconds (3h 04m 57s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
PPV Timing for Great Balls of Fire
|0m 00s||0m 23s||Then Now Forever||0m 23s|
|0m 23s||3m 07s||Video hyping Great Balls of Fire||2m 44s|
|3m 07s||3m 39s||Cole welcomes you to Great Balls of Fire||0m 32s|
|3m 39s||7m 48s||Pre-match for Rollins vs. Wyatt||4m 09s|
|7m 48s||19m 54s||Rollins vs. Wyatt||12m 06s|
|19m 54s||21m 20s||Post-match for Rollins vs. Wyatt||1m 26s|
|21m 20s||21m 52s||Ad for Battleground 2017||0m 32s|
|21m 52s||22m 30s||Video for #WWEHero||0m 38s|
|22m 30s||24m 23s||Backstage Hardyz promo||1m 53s|
|24m 23s||36m 04s||Pre-match for Enzo vs. Big Cass||11m 41s|
|36m 04s||41m 25s||Enzo vs. Big Cass||5m 21s|
|41m 25s||42m 46s||Post-match for Enzo vs. Big Cass||1m 21s|
|42m 46s||43m 59s||Ad for Kurt Angle: Homecoming||1m 13s|
|43m 59s||44m 16s||Backstage glance at Miz||0m 17s|
|44m 16s||48m 21s||Pre-match for Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz||4m 05s|
|48m 21s||1h 18m 21s||Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz||30m 00s|
|1h 18m 21s||1h 20m 43s||Post-match for Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz||2m 22s|
|1h 20m 43s||1h 21m 49s||Xavier Woods at Rocket League tournament||1m 06s|
|1h 21m 49s||1h 22m 37s||Ad for Battleground 2017||0m 48s|
|1h 22m 37s||1h 23m 08s||Backstage glance at Ambrose||0m 31s|
|1h 23m 08s||1h 29m 31s||Pre-match for Bliss vs. Banks||6m 23s|
|1h 29m 31s||1h 41m 17s||Bliss vs. Banks||11m 46s|
|1h 41m 17s||1h 44m 20s||Post-match for Bliss vs. Banks||3m 03s|
|1h 44m 20s||1h 44m 51s||Ad for Rocket League||0m 31s|
|1h 44m 51s||1h 46m 10s||Hype for Battleground 2017||1m 19s|
|1h 46m 10s||1h 47m 09s||Video recap of Kickoff match||0m 59s|
|1h 47m 09s||1h 48m 02s||Backstage with Titus and Tozawa||0m 53s|
|1h 48m 02s||1h 51m 25s||Pre-match for Miz vs. Ambrose||3m 23s|
|1h 51m 25s||2h 02m 41s||Miz vs. Ambrose||11m 16s|
|2h 02m 41s||2h 03m 39s||Post-match for Miz vs. Ambrose||0m 58s|
|2h 03m 39s||2h 04m 40s||Ad for WWE Network||1m 01s|
|2h 04m 40s||2h 05m 16s||Hype for Raw Talk||0m 36s|
|2h 05m 16s||2h 14m 16s||Pre-match for Reigns vs. Strowman||9m 00s|
|2h 14m 16s||2h 30m 49s||Reigns vs. Strowman||16m 33s|
|2h 30m 49s||2h 34m 32s||Post-match for Reigns vs. Strowman||3m 43s|
|2h 34m 32s||2h 35m 30s||Pre-match for Slater vs. Hawkins||0m 58s|
|2h 35m 30s||2h 37m 56s||Slater vs. Hawkins||2m 26s|
|2h 37m 56s||2h 45m 10s||Post-match for Reigns vs. Strowman||7m 14s|
|2h 45m 10s||2h 56m 39s||Pre-match for Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe||11m 29s|
|2h 56m 39s||3h 03m 06s||Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe||6m 27s|
|3h 03m 06s||3h 04m 57s||Post-match for Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe||1m 51s|
The 8 matches combined for a total time of 1h 35m 55s. This means that 51.9% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 42nd highest percentage in this category out of the 61 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for Great Balls of Fire. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 435 matches in my data set.
- 30m 00s: Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz (16th longest out of 435 matches)
- 16m 33s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (130th)
- 12m 06s: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt (222nd)
- 11m 46s: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks (225th)
- 11m 16s: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose (245th)
- 6m 27s: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe (378th)
- 5m 21s: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass (403rd)
- 2m 26s: Heath Slater vs. Curt Hawkins (422nd)
The final 0m 21s of Heath Slater’s match were not shown on PPV but I counted it as part of his match time rather than part of the post-match segment for Strowman’s match. I do not want to double-count any time, so I had to make a decision on how to classify it one way or the other.
The time for Lesnar’s match does not include the ambush from Samoa Joe that began roughly 2m 08s before the bell actually rang to start the match.
The 7 falls in the Iron Man match occurred at approximately these time stamps within the 30m 00s match:
- 0m 18s: Sheamus pins Matt Hardy
- 9m 47s: Sheamus pins Jeff Hardy
- 12m 53s: Jeff Hardy pins Cesaro
- 16m 44s: Matt Hardy is counted out
- 22m 56s: Jeff Hardy pins Cesaro
- 27m 04s: Matt Hardy pins Sheamus
- 29m 30s: Cesaro pins Jeff Hardy
Sheamus sure has a knack for that opening 18-second Brogue Kick, huh? In this particular case, the first fall took place between 18 and 19 seconds into the match.
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 51m 08s, which is 27.6% of the show. This is the 5th highest percentage in this category out of the 61 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 8 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 24s and the average time is 6m 05s.
- 11m 41s: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass
- 11m 29s: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe
- 9m 00s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 6m 23s: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks
- 4m 09s: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt
- 4m 05s: Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz
- 3m 23s: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
- 0m 58s: Heath Slater vs. Curt Hawkins
Four matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package right before superstar entrances. The videos hyping Enzo's match (3m 42s), Sasha's match (2m 21s), Strowman's match (4m 00s), and Lesnar's match (4m 30s) combined to take up 14m 33s of the pre-match segment time.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 21m 58s, which is 11.9% of the show. This is the 10th highest percentage in this category out of the 61 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 8 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 57s and the average time is 2m 27s.
- 10m 57s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 3m 03s: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks
- 2m 22s: Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz
- 1m 51s: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe
- 1m 26s: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt
- 1m 21s: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass
- 0m 58s: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
- 0m 00s: Heath Slater vs. Curt Hawkins
The time listed for Strowman’s match does not include the pre-match segment for Slater’s match or the actual match time for Slater, which one could argue was all part of the post-match segment for the ambulance match. If all of that time was instead added to the post-match segment time for Reigns, the post-match segment time would increase from 10m 57s to 14m 21s.
That leaves about 8.6% (15m 56s) of the show for everything else. This is the 59th highest percentage in this category out of the 61 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. Great Balls of Fire included 6 different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 3m 39s (Then Now Forever; Opening video)
- Block 2: 3m 03s (Ad for Battleground; #WWEHero; Hardyz promo)
- Block 3: 1m 30s (Ad for Kurt Angle: Homecoming; Miz backstage)
- Block 4: 2m 25s (Rocket League tournament; Ad for Battleground; Ambrose backstage)
- Block 5: 3m 42s (Ad for Rocket League; Hype for Battleground; Backstage with Titus/Tozawa)
- Block 6: 1m 37s (Ad for WWE Network; Hype for Raw Talk)
The overall run time for Great Balls of Fire was 3h 04m 57s, and this ranks 15th highest out of all 60 events in my data set.
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 435 entries in my data set.
- 36m 30s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (48th longest out of 435 entries)
- 36m 27s: Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz (49th)
- 21m 12s: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks (195th)
- 19m 47s: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe (221st)
- 18m 23s: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass (239th)
- 17m 41s: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt (254th)
- 15m 37s: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose (295th)
- 3m 24s: Heath Slater vs. Curt Hawkins (435th)
Now here is a look at the "Match Time Percentage" for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it's good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 63.0%.
(Here's an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 82.3%: Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Hardy Boyz
- 72.1%: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
- 71.6%: Heath Slater vs. Curt Hawkins
- 68.4%: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt
- 55.5%: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks
- 45.3%: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 32.6%: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe
- 29.1%: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass
Final Results for Great Balls of Fire
Match - 51.9% - 1h 35m 55s
Pre-match - 27.6% - 51m 08s
Post-match - 11.9% - 21m 58s
Miscellaneous - 8.6% - 15m 56s