WWE's Extreme Rules 2017 lasted for 2 hours 44 minutes and 13 seconds (2h 44m 13s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
PPV Timing for Extreme Rules 2017
|0m 00s||0m 21s||Then, Now, Forever||0m 21s|
|0m 21s||2m 25s||Video hyping Extreme Rules 2017||2m 04s|
|2m 25s||3m 16s||Opening pyro||0m 51s|
|3m 16s||9m 54s||Pre-match for Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz||6m 38s|
|9m 54s||29m 55s||Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz||20m 01s|
|29m 55s||32m 01s||Post-match for Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz||2m 06s|
|32m 01s||32m 49s||Ad for Money in the Bank 2017||0m 48s|
|32m 49s||33m 20s||Ad for American Grit||0m 31s|
|33m 20s||35m 05s||Backstage Bayley promo||1m 45s|
|35m 05s||38m 17s||Pre-match for Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar||3m 12s|
|38m 17s||44m 35s||Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar||6m 18s|
|44m 35s||45m 43s||Post-match for Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar||1m 08s|
|45m 43s||46m 44s||Ad for KFC||1m 01s|
|46m 44s||46m 59s||Filler commentary||0m 15s|
|46m 59s||50m 26s||In-ring segment: Song from Samson||3m 27s|
|50m 26s||58m 48s||Pre-match for Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley||8m 22s|
|58m 48s||1h 03m 58s||Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley||5m 10s|
|1h 03m 58s||1h 05m 40s||Post-match for Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley||1m 42s|
|1h 05m 40s||1h 06m 28s||Ad for Money in the Bank 2017||0m 48s|
|1h 06m 28s||1h 06m 48s||Baltimore Orioles in audience||0m 20s|
|1h 06m 48s||1h 07m 42s||Hype for Money in the Bank 2017||0m 54s|
|1h 07m 42s||1h 13m 15s||Pre-match for Hardyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus||5m 33s|
|1h 13m 15s||1h 28m 11s||Hardyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus||14m 56s|
|1h 28m 11s||1h 30m 06s||Post-match for Hardyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus||1m 55s|
|1h 30m 06s||1h 31m 53s||Ad for WWE Network||1m 47s|
|1h 31m 53s||1h 32m 12s||Filler commentary||0m 19s|
|1h 32m 12s||1h 32m 25s||Plug for PPV theme song||0m 13s|
|1h 32m 25s||1h 38m 06s||Pre-match for Neville vs. Austin Aries||5m 41s|
|1h 38m 06s||1h 55m 29s||Neville vs. Austin Aries||17m 23s|
|1h 55m 29s||1h 57m 38s||Post-match for Neville vs. Austin Aries||2m 09s|
|1h 57m 38s||1h 58m 16s||Video for #WWEHero||0m 38s|
|1h 58m 16s||1h 59m 11s||Hype for Great Balls of Fire||0m 55s|
|1h 59m 11s||2h 12m 25s||Pre-match for Fatal 5-Way Match||13m 14s|
|2h 12m 25s||2h 41m 30s||Fatal 5-Way Match||29m 05s|
|2h 41m 30s||2h 44m 13s||Post-match for Fatal 5-Way Match||2m 43s|
The 6 matches combined for a total time of 1h 32m 53s. This means that 56.6% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 21st highest percentage in this category out of the 59 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for Extreme Rules 2017. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 421 matches in my data set.
- 29m 05s: Balor vs. Rollins vs. Reigns vs. Wyatt vs. Joe (16th longest)
- 20m 01s: Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz (85th)
- 17m 23s: Neville vs. Austin Aries (110th)
- 14m 56s: Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus (152nd)
- 6m 18s: Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar (370th)
- 5m 10s: Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley (393rd)
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 42m 40s, which is 26.0% of the show. This is the 13th highest percentage in this category out of the 59 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 6 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 24s and the average time is 6m 03s.
- 13m 14s: Balor vs. Rollins vs. Reigns vs. Wyatt vs. Joe
- 8m 22s: Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley
- 6m 38s: Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz
- 5m 41s: Neville vs. Austin Aries
- 5m 33s: Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus
- 3m 12s: Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar
Four matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package as part of its pre-match segment. The videos hyping Ambrose's match (2m 55s), Bayley's match (3m 18s), Neville's match (2m 43s), and Balor's match (2m 35s) combined to take up 11m 31s of the pre-match segment time.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 11m 43s, which is 7.1% of the show. This is the 56th highest percentage in this category out of the 59 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 6 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 57s and the average time is 2m 27s.
- 2m 43s: Balor vs. Rollins vs. Reigns vs. Wyatt vs. Joe
- 2m 09s: Neville vs. Austin Aries
- 2m 06s: Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz
- 1m 55s: Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus
- 1m 42s: Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley
- 1m 08s: Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar
That leaves about 10.3% (16m 57s) of the show for everything else. This is the 43rd highest percentage in this category out of the 59 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. Extreme Rules 2017 included 6 different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 3m 16s (Then Now Forever; Opening hype video & pyro)
- Block 2: 3m 04s (Ads for Money in the Bank & American Grit; Bayley backstage)
- Block 3: 4m 43s (Ad for KFC; In-ring segment with Elias Sampson)
- Block 4: 2m 02s (Hype for Money in the Bank; Baltimore Orioles in audience)
- Block 5: 2m 19s (Ad for WWE Network; Plug for PPV theme song)
- Block 6: 1m 33s (#WWEHero video; Hype for Great Balls of Fire)
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 421 entries in my data set.
- 45m 02s: Balor vs. Rollins vs. Reigns vs. Wyatt vs. Joe (16th longest)
- 28m 45s: Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz (106th)
- 25m 13s: Neville vs. Austin Aries (141st)
- 22m 24s: Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus (179th)
- 15m 14s: Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley (293rd)
- 10m 38s: Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar (376th)
Now here is a look at the "Match Time Percentage" for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it's good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 63.0%.
(Here's an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 69.6%: Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz
- 68.9%: Neville vs. Austin Aries
- 66.7%: Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro & Sheamus
- 64.6%: Balor vs. Rollins vs. Reigns vs. Wyatt vs. Joe
- 59.2%: Banks & Swann vs. Fox & Dar
- 33.9%: Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley
Final Results for Extreme Rules 2017
Match - 56.6% - 1h 32m 53s
Pre-match - 26.0% - 42m 40s
Post-match - 7.1% - 11m 43s
Miscellaneous - 10.3% - 16m 57s