WWE probably wishes there’d been a different outcome in the NBA Finals on Friday night, but Miz’s Cavs staved off elimination, and now we’ll see what the red brand has in terms of counter-programming against Game 5 when Raw comes our way from Lafayette, Louisiana’s CAJUNDOME.
The main thing they have is the first appearance of Universal champion Brock Lesnar since April 3.
LeBron James and Steph Curry aren't the only problems Lesnar is back to address, though. Brock's also got the first challenge to his three-plus month reign. And new #1 contender Samoa Joe celebrated his big win in the Extreme Rules Fatal 5Way by sending a message to the Beast... in the form of choking out his advocate, Paul Heyman.
This was not only a cool segment which helped establish Joe as a badass (to anyone who didn't already know Joe is a badass), but it also revealed to us that while Lesnar hasn't been to work on a Monday night since the night after winning his title, he does at least occassionally watch Raw. Having seen Paul Heyman in the Coquina Clutch, the champ decided he couldn’t wait until July’s Great Balls of Fire pay-per-view (PPV) to show his face and look his opponent in the eye.
The title scene
He and Reby just brought another Hardy boy into the world, but Matt can’t wait any longer to answer the first loss he and his brother suffered during their latest WWE run - especially when it cost them the tag team titles. WWE.com’s official preview broke the news over the weekend - tonight it’s champs Cesaro & Sheamus vs. the Hardy Boyz.
Thanks to intervention by Raw General Manager Kurt Angle, we were saved another “This is Your Life” segment from Women’s champion Alexa Bliss, and Nia Jax finally got her title shot. Unfortunately for Jax, Lil Miss Bliss is crafty. Baiting Mickie James & Dana Brooke into attacking her cost Nia her chance... for now.
Dean Ambrose ended up ruining The Miz’s Intercontinental championship celebration, but mostly he tricked the A-Lister into ruining it himself (poor Maryse put so much thought into that gift, too). With a promised rematch on the horizon, the comeback tour may be on hold until the seven-time champ can get the Lunatic Fringe out of his head.
Who will step up and challenge the King? In the span of three days, Cruiserweight titleholder Neville vanquished long-time foe Austin Aries and dealt with his former advocate, TJP.
Other stuff to keep an eye on:
- WHO ATTACKED ENZO!?!? And also WHO ATTACKED CASS!?!?
- The latest mysterious text sent to/about Angle caused him to abandon his post. Who sent it? What did it say? Could it be related to the rash of attacks on Certified Gs? SO MANY MYSTERIES!
- Seven days ago, with a familiar heepajowapajooWAH, Bray Wyatt cost Seth Rollins his match with the Destroyer. So it appears they’re feuding now.
- Checking in on the other participants in the last PPV’s main event: Roman Reigns appears to be hanging out and overcoming stuff while waiting for WrestleMania 34. Finn Bálor is just trying to get on television.
- Also hanging out, that’s what Elias Samson is doing. The Drifter does have some cool heat-drawing tunes he sings poorly to keep us entertained until Dean’s done with Miz.
- Goldust’s shocking betrayal of R-Truth has led to... dueling pre-taped video promos! They’re pretty good, but that’s all we’ve got so far.
- The Titus Brand is unable to defeat Kalisto, or recruit Akira Tozawa.
Four weeks until Great Balls of Fire!
What will you be looking for on Raw tonight?