WWE's WrestleMania 33 lasted for 5 hours 10 minutes and 41 seconds (5h 10m 41s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
PPV Timing for WrestleMania 33
|0m 00s||0m 19s||Then, Now, Forever||0m 19s|
|0m 19s||2m 34s||America the Beautiful||2m 15s|
|2m 34s||6m 24s||Video hyping WrestleMania 33||3m 50s|
|6m 24s||11m 36s||In-ring segment: New Day opens the show||5m 12s|
|11m 36s||12m 08s||Ad for WWE Champions||0m 32s|
|12m 08s||12m 31s||Intro of SmackDown commentators||0m 23s|
|12m 31s||19m 21s||Pre-match for Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles||6m 50s|
|19m 21s||39m 51s||Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles||20m 30s|
|39m 51s||41m 28s||Post-match for Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles||1m 37s|
|41m 28s||42m 15s||Ad for Snickers||0m 47s|
|42m 15s||42m 36s||Filler commentary||0m 21s|
|42m 36s||50m 12s||Pre-match for Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens||7m 36s|
|50m 12s||1h 06m 59s||Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens||16m 47s|
|1h 06m 59s||1h 07m 48s||Post-match for Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens||0m 49s|
|1h 07m 48s||1h 08m 18s||Ad for Payback 2017||0m 30s|
|1h 08m 18s||1h 08m 55s||Plug for PPV theme song||0m 37s|
|1h 08m 55s||1h 19m 13s||Pre-match for Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia||10m 18s|
|1h 19m 13s||1h 31m 20s||Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia||12m 07s|
|1h 31m 20s||1h 32m 45s||Post-match for Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia||1m 25s|
|1h 32m 45s||1h 37m 04s||Video recap of HOF ceremony||4m 19s|
|1h 37m 04s||1h 40m 25s||Introduction of WWE HOF class of 2017||3m 21s|
|1h 40m 25s||1h 41m 06s||Ad for Superstars for Hope||0m 41s|
|1h 41m 06s||1h 41m 26s||Backstage glance at Seth Rollins||0m 20s|
|1h 41m 26s||1h 51m 25s||Pre-match for Raw tag team championship ladder match||9m 59s|
|1h 51m 25s||2h 02m 30s||Raw tag team championship ladder match||11m 05s|
|2h 02m 30s||2h 04m 26s||Post-match for Raw tag team championship ladder match||1m 56s|
|2h 04m 26s||2h 06m 14s||Ad for WWE Network||1m 48s|
|2h 06m 14s||2h 06m 46s||Jimmy Fallon in the audience; filler commentary||0m 32s|
|2h 06m 46s||2h 17m 15s||Pre-match for Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse||10m 29s|
|2h 17m 15s||2h 26m 54s||Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse||9m 39s|
|2h 26m 54s||2h 32m 47s||Post-match for Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse||5m 53s|
|2h 32m 47s||2h 44m 47s||Pre-match for Seth Rollins vs. Triple H||12m 00s|
|2h 44m 47s||3h 10m 11s||Seth Rollins vs. Triple H||25m 24s|
|3h 10m 11s||3h 11m 49s||Post-match for Seth Rollins vs. Triple H||1m 38s|
|3h 11m 49s||3h 12m 05s||Ad for Cricket Wireless||0m 16s|
|3h 12m 05s||3h 12m 37s||Ad for WWE Super Card||0m 32s|
|3h 12m 37s||3h 19m 16s||Concert: Pitbull, Flo Rida, LunchMoney Lewis||6m 39s|
|3h 19m 16s||3h 31m 40s||Pre-match for Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton||12m 24s|
|3h 31m 40s||3h 42m 07s||Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton||10m 27s|
|3h 42m 07s||3h 43m 19s||Post-match for Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton||1m 12s|
|3h 43m 19s||3h 43m 50s||Ad for Tapout||0m 31s|
|3h 43m 50s||3h 44m 21s||Ad for Total Divas||0m 31s|
|3h 44m 21s||3h 44m 58s||Thanks to pilots of VFA-204 and VFC-12||0m 37s|
|3h 44m 58s||3h 56m 44s||Pre-match for Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar||11m 46s|
|3h 56m 44s||4h 01m 30s||Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar||4m 46s|
|4h 01m 30s||4h 04m 00s||Post-match for Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar||2m 30s|
|4h 04m 00s||4h 04m 47s||Ad for WWE Shop||0m 47s|
|4h 04m 47s||4h 09m 54s||Pre-match for SmackDown women's championship match||5m 07s|
|4h 09m 54s||4h 15m 26s||SmackDown women's championship match||5m 32s|
|4h 15m 26s||4h 16m 55s||Post-match for SmackDown women's championship match||1m 29s|
|4h 16m 55s||4h 17m 26s||Ad for Payback 2017||0m 31s|
|4h 17m 26s||4h 17m 57s||Ad for Final Fantasy XIV Online||0m 31s|
|4h 17m 57s||4h 19m 57s||New Day announces attendance||2m 00s|
|4h 19m 57s||4h 34m 17s||Pre-match for Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns||14m 20s|
|4h 34m 17s||4h 57m 15s||Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns||22m 58s|
|4h 57m 15s||5h 10m 41s||Post-match for Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns||13m 26s|
The 10 matches combined for a total time of 2h 19m 15s. This means that 44.8% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 55th highest percentage in this category out of the 56 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for WrestleMania 33. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 401 matches in my data set.
- 25m 24s: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H (26th longest out of 401 matches)
- 22m 58s: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns (52nd)
- 20m 30s: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles (79th)
- 16m 47s: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens (118th)
- 12m 07s: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia (203rd)
- 11m 05s: Raw tag team fatal 4-way ladder match (227th)
- 10m 27s: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton (242nd)
- 9m 39s: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse (260th)
- 5m 32s: SmackDown women’s championship match (369th)
- 4m 46s: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar (378th)
Nia’s survival time in her elimination match was 4m 08s, and Sasha lasted for 8m 10s. So the timing of those two eliminations cut the match into 3 nearly equal pieces each hovering around 4m 00s in length.
John Cena has competed in 40 matches in my data set, and his match time of 9m 39s at WrestleMania 33 is the second shortest time for him, trailing only his loss to Alberto Del Rio at Hell in a Cell 2015, which clocked in at 7m 46s. Those are the only two matches involving Cena that fell under 13m 00s.
Triple H’s match going beyond 25m 00s is not very surprising; my data set includes 5 Triple H matches at WrestleMania, and his match with Sting at WrestleMania 31 is the only one that falls short of 24m 00s. It should be noted that his match with Sting was still the longest match on that card, of course.
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 1h 40m 49s, which is 32.4% of the show. This is the highest percentage in this category out of the 56 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 10 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 23s and the average time is 6m 03s.
- 14m 20s: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
- 12m 24s: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton
- 12m 00s: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
- 11m 46s: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
- 10m 29s: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
- 10m 18s: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia
- 9m 59s: Raw tag team fatal 4-way ladder match
- 7m 36s: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens
- 6m 50s: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles
- 5m 07s: SmackDown women’s championship match
8 matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package right before (or during, in KO’s case) superstar entrances. These 8 video packages added up to 30m 14s of the total pre-match segment time, and here is the sorted list of how long each one lasted:
- 4m 21s: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
- 4m 17s: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
- 3m 51s: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
- 3m 42s: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton
- 3m 37s: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
- 3m 34s: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens
- 3m 29s: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles
- 3m 23s: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia
The amount of time at WrestleMania 33 devoted to pre-match segments blew away all other 55 events in my data set.
The total pre-match segment time of 1h 40m 49s beat out the next closest contender, WrestleMania 32, by more than 23 minutes. The pre-match segment percentage of 32.4% beat out the next closest contender, Hell in a Cell 2015, by more than 4 percentage points.
The 5 pre-match video packages last year at WrestleMania 32 took up 17m 15s of that overall show time, and so the 8 video packages at WrestleMania 33 beat out that number by roughly 13 minutes.
The 7 longest pre-match segments listed above all rank among the 50 longest pre-match segments in my data set out of 401 total pre-match segments.
The pre-match segments for three of the matches (Cena, Wyatt, Goldberg) lasted longer than the actual match time. This isn’t surprising in Goldberg’s case, but it is certainly unusual for Cena and the WWE Championship.
The pre-match segments for three other matches (Hardyz, Bayley, SmackDown women) came within two minutes of the actual match time.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 31m 55s, which is 10.3% of the show. This is the 22nd highest percentage in this category out of the 56 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 10 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 57s and the average time is 2m 27s.
- 13m 26s: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
- 5m 53s: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
- 2m 30s: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
- 1m 56s: Raw tag team fatal 4-way ladder match
- 1m 38s: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
- 1m 37s: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles
- 1m 29s: SmackDown women’s championship match
- 1m 25s: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia
- 1m 12s: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton
- 0m 49s: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens
Undertaker’s post-match segment is the longest one in my data set out of 401 total post-match segments. Only 3 of these segments have gone beyond 10m 00s in length, including this one and as well as Undertaker’s post-match segment from WrestleMania 30.
This is the second consecutive WrestleMania where Jericho’s post-match segment lasted only 0m 49s, and there are no other WrestleMania matches in my data set with post-match segments that short. The next shortest would be the 0m 56s post-match segment for the Divas Invitational match at WrestleMania 30.
That leaves about 12.5% (38m 42s) of the show for everything else. This is the 27th highest percentage in this category out of the 56 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. WrestleMania 33 included 9 different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 12m 31s (Opening video; New Day segment; Ad for WWE Champions)
- Block 2: 1m 08s (Ad for Snickers; filler commentary)
- Block 3: 1m 07s (Ad for Payback 2017; Plug for PPV theme song)
- Block 4: 8m 41s (HOF recap & on-stage segment; Ad for Superstars for Hope)
- Block 5: 2m 20s (Ad for WWE Network; Fallon in attendance)
- Block 6: 7m 27s (Ads for Cricket Wireless & WWE Super Card; Pitbull concert)
- Block 7: 1m 39s (Ads for Total Divas & Tapout; thanks to the pilots)
- Block 8: 0m 47s (Ad for WWE Shop)
- Block 9: 3m 02s (Ads for Payback 2017 & Final Fantasy; Attendance record)
WrestleMania 33 is the first iteration since WrestleMania 29 that did not include a ridiculously long talking segment in the ring with the Rock. This contributed to a smaller percentage of miscellaneous segment time compared to WrestleMania 30, 31, and 32 (15.9%, 24.8%, and 14.8%, respectively).
The concert segment lasted 6m 39s, which is longer than the match time for the SmackDown women’s championship match.
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 401 entries in my data set.
- 50m 44s: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns (11th longest out of 401 entries)
- 39m 02s: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H (27th)
- 28m 57s: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles (102nd)
- 26m 01s: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse (126th)
- 25m 12s: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens (135th)
- 24m 03s: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton (149th)
- 23m 50s: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia (150th)
- 23m 00s: Raw tag team fatal 4-way ladder match (159th)
- 19m 02s: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar (211th)
- 12m 08s: SmackDown women’s championship match (335th)
In general, it looks like most matches were given around 25 minutes in total to work with, including the pre-match video packages as part of their block of time. It’s not surprising to see that Undertaker and Triple H blew away the field while the SmackDown women languished far behind the pack.
Now here is a look at the "Match Time Percentage" for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it's good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 62.9%.
(Here's an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 70.8%: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles
- 66.6%: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens
- 65.1%: Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
- 50.8%: Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Charlotte vs. Nia
- 48.2%: Raw tag team fatal 4-way ladder match
- 45.6%: SmackDown women’s championship match
- 45.3%: Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
- 43.5%: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton
- 37.1%: Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
- 25.0%: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
Final Results for WrestleMania 33
Match - 44.8% - 2h 19m 15s
Pre-match - 32.4% - 1h 40m 49s
Post-match - 10.3% - 31m 55s
Miscellaneous - 12.5% - 38m 42s