WWE's Fastlane 2017 lasted for 3 hours 5 minutes and 5 seconds (3h 05m 05s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
PPV Timing for Fastlane 2017
|0m 00s||0m 21s||Then, Now, Forever||0m 21s|
|0m 21s||2m 18s||Video hyping Fastlane 2017||1m 57s|
|2m 18s||3m 06s||Opening pyro||0m 48s|
|3m 06s||6m 06s||Pre-match for Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe||3m 00s|
|6m 06s||15m 52s||Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe||9m 46s|
|15m 52s||17m 23s||Post-match for Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe||1m 31s|
|17m 23s||17m 54s||Ad for Tapout||0m 31s|
|17m 54s||18m 29s||Ad for WrestleMania 33||0m 35s|
|18m 29s||20m 13s||Backstage with Bayley & Nia Jax||1m 44s|
|20m 13s||25m 13s||Pre-match for Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Cass||5m 00s|
|25m 13s||33m 55s||Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Cass||8m 42s|
|33m 55s||35m 01s||Post-match for Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Cass||1m 06s|
|35m 01s||36m 02s||Ad for WWE Champions mobile game||1m 01s|
|36m 02s||37m 44s||Backstage with Foley & Stephanie||1m 42s|
|37m 44s||42m 03s||Pre-match for Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax||4m 19s|
|42m 03s||50m 22s||Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax||8m 19s|
|50m 22s||51m 58s||Post-match for Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax||1m 36s|
|51m 58s||53m 07s||Hype for WWE Network||1m 09s|
|53m 07s||53m 45s||Hype for Raw Talk||0m 38s|
|53m 45s||58m 10s||Pre-match for Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal||4m 25s|
|58m 10s||1h 06m 21s||Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal||8m 11s|
|1h 06m 21s||1h 07m 44s||Post-match for Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal||1m 23s|
|1h 07m 44s||1h 08m 24s||Pre-match for Big Show vs. Rusev||0m 40s|
|1h 08m 24s||1h 17m 05s||Big Show vs. Rusev||8m 41s|
|1h 17m 05s||1h 17m 43s||Post-match for Big Show vs. Rusev||0m 38s|
|1h 17m 43s||1h 18m 14s||Ad for KFC starring Enzo & Cass||0m 31s|
|1h 18m 14s||1h 18m 59s||WrestleMania 33 is 28 days away||0m 45s|
|1h 18m 59s||1h 21m 17s||Backstage with Kevin Owens||2m 18s|
|1h 21m 17s||1h 22m 32s||Austin Aries' beautiful massive package||1m 15s|
|1h 22m 32s||1h 25m 59s||Pre-match for Neville vs. Jack Gallagher||3m 27s|
|1h 25m 59s||1h 38m 07s||Neville vs. Jack Gallagher||12m 08s|
|1h 38m 07s||1h 39m 43s||Post-match for Neville vs. Jack Gallagher||1m 36s|
|1h 39m 43s||1h 40m 14s||Ad for Jetsons & WWE: Robo-WrestleMania!||0m 31s|
|1h 40m 14s||1h 41m 01s||Ad for WWE Shop||0m 47s|
|1h 41m 01s||1h 43m 16s||Backstage with Paul Heyman||2m 15s|
|1h 43m 16s||1h 48m 26s||New Day ice cream segment||5m 10s|
|1h 48m 26s||1h 56m 27s||Pre-match for Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman||8m 01s|
|1h 56m 27s||2h 13m 41s||Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman||17m 14s|
|2h 13m 41s||2h 16m 14s||Post-match for Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman||2m 33s|
|2h 16m 14s||2h 16m 47s||Ad for Ride Along Season 2||0m 33s|
|2h 16m 47s||2h 17m 49s||Backstage with Foley and Samoa Joe||1m 02s|
|2h 17m 49s||2h 18m 01s||Plug for PPV theme song||0m 12s|
|2h 18m 01s||2h 25m 56s||Pre-match for Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair||7m 55s|
|2h 25m 56s||2h 42m 44s||Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair||16m 48s|
|2h 42m 44s||2h 44m 38s||Post-match for Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair||1m 54s|
|2h 44m 38s||2h 45m 36s||Hype for WrestleMania 33||0m 58s|
|2h 45m 36s||2h 46m 12s||Hype for Raw Talk||0m 36s|
|2h 46m 12s||2h 48m 13s||Raw recap video: Rollins/HHH segment||2m 01s|
|2h 48m 13s||3h 02m 06s||Pre-match for Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg||13m 53s|
|3h 02m 06s||3h 02m 29s||Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg||0m 23s|
|3h 02m 29s||3h 05m 05s||Post-match for Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg||2m 36s|
The 9 matches combined for a total time of 1h 30m 12s. This means that 48.7% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 49th highest percentage in this category out of the 55 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for Fastlane 2017. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 391 matches in my data set.
- 17m 14s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (103rd longest out of 391 matches)
- 16m 48s: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair (113th)
- 12m 08s: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher (198th)
- 9m 46s: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe (251st)
- 8m 42s: Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Big Cass (275th)
- 8m 41s: Big Show vs. Rusev (277th)
- 8m 19s: Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax (287th)
- 8m 11s: Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal (292nd)
- 0m 23s: Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg (387th)
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 50m 40s, which is 27.4% of the show. This is the 5th highest percentage in this category out of the 55 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 9 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 19s and the average time is 5m 57s.
- 13m 53s: Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg
- 8m 01s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 7m 55s: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair
- 5m 00s: Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Big Cass
- 4m 25s: Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal
- 4m 19s: Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax
- 3m 27s: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher
- 3m 00s: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe
- 0m 40s: Big Show vs. Rusev
4 matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package right before superstar entrances. The videos hyping Sasha's match (1m 17s), Roman's match (4m 08s), Bayley’s match (3m 35s), and Goldberg's match (3m 31s) combined to take up 12m 31s of the pre-match segment time.
The pre-match segment for Golodberg’s match was longer than all but two of the 9 actual matches on the main card of Fastlane.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 14m 53s, which is 8.0% of the show. This is the 40th highest percentage in this category out of the 55 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 9 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 59s and the average time is 2m 26s.
- 2m 36s: Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg
- 2m 33s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 1m 54s: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair
- 1m 36s: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher
- 1m 36s: Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax
- 1m 31s: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe
- 1m 23s: Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal
- 1m 06s: Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Big Cass
- 0m 38s: Big Show vs. Rusev
That leaves about 15.8% (29m 20s) of the show for everything else. This is the 11th highest percentage in this category out of the 55 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. Fastlane 2017 included 8 different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 3m 06s (Then Now Forever; Opening hype video and pyro)
- Block 2: 2m 50s (Ads for Tapout and WrestleMania; Backstage with Bayley)
- Block 3: 2m 43s (Ad for WWE Champions; Backstage with Foley & Steph)
- Block 4: 1m 47s (Hype for WWE Network & Raw Talk)
- Block 5: 4m 49s (Ads for KFC & WrestleMania; KO backstage; Aries’ video)
- Block 6: 8m 43s (Ad for Jetsons & WWE Shop; Heyman backstage; New Day segment)
- Block 7: 1m 47s (Ad for Ride Along; Backstage with Foley & Joe; PPV theme song)
- Block 8: 3m 35s (Hype for WrestleMania & Raw Talk; Raw recap)
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 391 entries in my data set.
- 27m 48s: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman (104th longest out of 391 entries)
- 26m 37s: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair (116th)
- 17m 11s: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher (235th)
- 16m 52s: Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg (238th)
- 14m 48s: Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Big Cass (272nd)
- 14m 17s: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe (280th)
- 14m 14s: Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax (283rd)
- 13m 59s: Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal (288th)
- 9m 59s: Big Show vs. Rusev (359th)
Now here is a look at the "Match Time Percentage" for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it's good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 63.0%.
(Here's an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 87.0%: Big Show vs. Rusev
- 70.6%: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher
- 68.4%: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe
- 63.1%: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair
- 62.0%: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
- 58.8%: Gallows & Anderson vs. Enzo & Big Cass
- 58.5%: Cesaro vs. Jinder Mahal
- 58.4%: Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax
- 2.3%: Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg
Jinder and Rusev’s matches sort of bled into each other in terms of transitioning from the post-match segment for Jinder leading into the pre-match segment for Rusev. If those two matches were instead merged into one block of time, it would have scored a 70.4% on this metric.
A couple days before Fastlane 2017 took place, I stated that the card probably needed more content because the originally advertised 7 matches would only fill roughly 80 minutes of match time. In reality those 7 matches only resulted in 73m 20s of match time, largely thanks to Zayn’s match falling about 6 minutes short of my prediction.
Therefore WWE did in fact need to add much more content to this card, and they did so with two extra matches (Cesaro vs. Jinder, Big Show vs. Rusev) and a talking segment in the arena from the New Day.
These three extra segments added nearly 30 minutes of content to the Fastlane card, and the event actually eclipsed the 3-hour mark as a result of this large amount of filler content.
Final Results for Fastlane 2017
Match - 48.7% - 1h 30m 12s
Pre-match - 27.4% - 50m 40s
Post-match - 8.0% - 14m 53s
Miscellaneous - 15.8% - 29m 20s