NXT is taping away from their usual home base of Full Sail Live, as they head across town to the University of Central Florida’s The Venue, where they'll tape matches and segments for their regular Wednesday night series on WWE Network.
Tonight’s show (Feb. 22) is the second scheduled taping after TakeOver: San Antonio event, and should take us the rest of the way to April 1’s WrestleMania 33 eve show - TakeOver: Orlando.
Triple H took the unusual step of announcing a title match for tonight in advance, with Kassius Ohno facing champion Bobby Roode. This should serve as the first televised match of the former Chris Hero’s second WWE run. Shinsuke Nakamura is also scheduled to appeared for the first time since losing the belt to Roode in Texas.
We’ll know more when results start rolling in from Florida. We'll be updating those here live, starting at the scheduled 7:00PM Eastern bell time:
- Heidi Lovelace (now billed as Ruby Riot) over Kimber Lee, presumably the opening dark match.
- Eric Young cuts a promo from the tron, saying that Tye Dillinger shouldn’t get his friends involved, and they’ll do it one on one.
- Elias Samson comes out to sing a song and is interrupted by Kassius Ohno. Ohno says the Drifter thing isn’t working out and Samson counters that Ohno in NXT won’t work out, the same as last time. Ohno then challenges him to a Loser Leaves NXT match later tonight!
- Eric Young vs. Tye Dillinger is set to begin, but as the match is about to start, Sanity drag a beaten-down Roderick Strong out. Tye and No Way Jose try to help their pal out but just eat a beatdown themselves and we don’t get the match.
- Andrade “Cien” Almas over HoHo Lun.
- Kassius Ohno over Elias Samson in a Loser Leaves NXT Match. The Drifter must finally drift away! Also, Ohno smashes the guitar for good measure. Who’s your Hero, indeed.
- Ember Moon over Billie Kay. After the match, trainers spend time checking Billie, so there’s concern she may have suffered an injury. She does get to her feet by herself, but the trainers help her to the back.
- Ealy Brothers (Gabriel & Uriel Ealy) vs. the Revival (Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson) is scheduled to happen next, but the Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) show up and destroy the twins, leading the Revival to head for the hills.
- Heavy Machinery (Otis Dozovic & Tucker Knight) over Johnny Vandal & QT Marshall.
- Nikki Cross over Macey Estrella. After the match, No Way Jose and Tye Dillinger ran down to try and beat the SAnitY men down, but they get overwhelmed.
- Andrade “Cien” Almas over Oney Lorcan.
- Asuka over Priscilla Zuniga, better known as indie wrestler Angel Rose. Before the match, Asuka said that Ember Moon would suffer the same fate, and then made a point of really punishing the newcomer.
- The Ealy Brothers are back out and they call the Authors of Pain down. The Authors accept the challenge and win the match handily.
- After the match, Paul Ellering says that the Revival are the next name in his Book of Pain. This brings #DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa) down. They say they can beat the Authors and only the Revival stopped them from doing so. This, in turn, brings out the Revival. The Revival say they sat San Antonio out but they’re not doing that again. So William Regal comes down and makes it official, we have a three-way elimination match for the NXT Tag Team Championship at TakeOver: Orlando.
- No Way Jose, Roderick Strong, & Tye Dillinger vs. SAnitY (Alexander Wolfe, Eric Young, & Killian Dain) goes to a no contest when the referee loses control and decides to just throw it out. Ruby Riot then runs down to even the odds vis-a-vis Nikki Cross! Babyfaces then manage to fight SAnitY off for once.
- Dash Wilder over Akam and Johnny Gargano. Dash and Dawson hit the bricks mid-match only to come back and steal the win after Akam had destroyed Gargano, with Dawson holding the Author’s feet to keep him down.
- Bobby Roode (c) over Kassius Ohno to retain the NXT Championship.
- Shinsuke Nakamura over TJ Perkins. After the match, Bobby Roode came down to tell the former champ that the show’s over and it’s time to go. When Nakamura refused to leave, Andrade “Cien” Almas came out to put the boots to him and Roode joined in. They beat him down until Finn Balor made the save!
- Finn, after running the heels off, says he’s not medically cleared, but he’ll be back soon enough for what’s his. He and Shinsuke celebrate in the ring to close the tapings out.
There you have it, folks
Another couple weeks of NXT TV to take us towards Orlando. Like what you see, Cagesiders?