Fatal 4Way for the Tag Team Championship
What Big E, Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods of The New Day ever do to Teddy Long? Don’t know, but the former SmackDown General Manager sure put them in a tough spot when he suggested to Stephanie McMahon they should defend their tag titles in a Fatal 4Way.
The Road to Money in the Bank
What beef do each of these teams have with one another? In honor of Chris Warren, let’s "Break it Down":
- Everybody wants New Day’s belts.
- The Vaudevillains (Aiden English & Simon Gotch) claim responsiblity for the concussion which may have cost Enzo Amore & Big Cass a title shot (and ‘Zo’s career).
- Kofi interfered in English & Gotch’s match against Woods & E, costing the ‘Villains the titles.
- Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows have beaten up New Day a lot trying to position themselves for a shot at WWE gold.
- Gotch & English once allowed this to happen.
- Amore has carnal knowledge of Woods’ trombone, Francesca II.
- The Positive Trio have thrown in with John Cena in his battle against Luke & Karl’s "good brother", AJ Styles.
- Everybody’s got jokes about Gallows & Anderson’s hair (or lack thereof).
What's at stake?
The first bullet point above pretty much covers it. New Day are trying to keep the straps and soon become the longest reigning WWE tag champs in history. Every other pair in the bout want to claim the titles for the first time.
As with pretty much every match on the June 19 show from Las Vegas, though, the impending brand split hangs over the proceedings.
One the one hand, there could soon be twice as many prizes for tag teams to win in WWE. Far from a loss here meaning being shuffled to the back of the line to await another shot, any of these teams could remain #1 contenders or just be first in line for a new set of belts should those be rolled out for Raw or SmackDown.
On the other, this could be the last pay-per-view (PPV) on the same roster for some of these units. We don’t know when the distinct rosters kick in, or how they’ll be determined. All four of these acts are over as a group, but that’s never stopped WWE from getting cute in a roster draft before.
To top it all off, multi-team matches can be tough to pull off. Chaos will probably be the order of the day, but with four sets of guys with well-defined characters and a good mix of styles & experience levels, this should be a blast.
Come an enjoy the fireworks - and find out who leaves as tag champs - at 8PM tonight on WWE Network, with full coverage right here at Cageside Seats!