WWE Monday Night Raw comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (May 9, 2016) from the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska, featuring all the latest build to the upcoming Extreme Rules pay-per-view (PPV) scheduled for May 22 in Newark, New Jersey.
Advertised for tonight: AJ Styles has some tough choices to make, the Intercontinental championship scene should be cleared up, Charlotte may be running scared, and more!
Come right back here at 8 p.m. ET when the Raw live blog kicks off once the show starts on USA. It will be below this line here. (REMINDER: NO GIFS OR PICS ARE ALLOWED IN THE COMMENTS SECTION. OFFENDERS WILL BE BANNED.)
WWE RAW RESULTS AND LIVE BLOG FOR MAY 9
- The show opens with the Highlight Reel. Chris Jericho gloats about killing Mitch and injuring Dean Ambrose, because he's an all-time jerk. He's interrupted by BIG CASS, who stares down Jericho, calls him SAWFT, then sends him packing with a big boot.
- Jericho finds Stephanie backstage and complains about Cass, then tries to put her at odds with Shane. She doesn't appreciate any of this, so she puts him in a match against Big Cass in the main event TONIGHT.
- Baron Corbin dispatches Dolph Ziggler after an End of Days. There was also a MONSTER Deep Six in this one and Ziggler didn't put up much of a fight this time.
- Charlotte and Ric Flair meet up with Shane backstage. Shane says not only is Flair still banned from ringside at Extreme Rules, he's also banned from ringside tonight!
- JoJo interviews Stles, Gallows and Anderson backstage and asks them about the six-man elimination tag match later tonight. Styles says he won't hesitate to take Reigns out after what happened last week. He also says the Club is officially together again, and they THREE-WAY TOO SWEET.
- R-Truth defeats Fandango. Both Goldust and Tyler Breeze tried to interfere in this one, to no avail. Goldango will finally face the Gorgeous Truth on Thursday's SmackDown.
- Backstage, Sami Zayn offers a proposition to Shane and Stephanie: if he can beat the Miz in a non-title match, they make it a Fatal 4-Way for the Intercontinental Championship at Extreme Rules. This sounds great to both Shane and Stephanie, so they agree.
- Paige defeats Charlotte as Natalya sits in on commentary. This match totally ruled. Nattie tried to get in Charlotte's face, which brought out Ric Flair. But Ric was banned from ringside, so Shane and four referees came out to dispatch him. This distracted Charlotte long enough for Paige to roll her up and pin her. Charlotte was horrified, as this exposed her weakness: she has a hard time winning when she can't cheat.
- Sami Zayn defeats the Miz. This was another great match that Zayn won with the Helluva Kick to make the Fatal 4-Way at Extreme Rules official.
- Becky Lynch is getting interviewed by Renee Young backstage when Emma interrupts. Emma warns Becky that she had better grow eyes in the back of her head. Lynch is then attacked by the debuting Dana Brooke, who gives Becky a condescending head-pat before leaving her laying.
- We get the same Darren Young/Bob Backlund vignette from last week's SmackDown.
- There's an Up Up Down Down commercial for pizza.
- Zack Ryder is talking to Shane backstage when they're interrupted by Kevin Owens, which Shane doesn't appreciate. Shane says if Ryder and beat Owens tonight, Zack will take Kevin's place in the Fatal 4-Way at Extreme Rules.
- Tom Phillips interviews Roman Reigns backstage as he hangs with the Usos. Reigns says they'll represent their bloodline to the fullest and they'll get a win over the Club.
- Sin Cara defeats Rusev. Kalisto kicks Rusev in the head and allows his Lucha Dragons teammate to roll up Rusev for the win, much to Rusev's chagrin. Lana and Rusev are back together on the regular now and it's still great.
- Another Epico and Primo vignette. This one was like a "greatest hits" of all the previous vignettes, so their debut must be getting closer.
- Six-man elimination time! Karl Anderson eliminated Jey Uso first by pinning him with a handful of tights. AJ Styles teased getting in with Roman Reigns before Luke Gallows opted to get in against the world champ. Jimmy Uso then eliminated Anderson via pinfall. During the break, Styles pinned Jimmy via Phenomenal Forearm to give the Club a 2-on-1 advantage over Reigns. Reigns pinned Gallows shortly thereafter and Styles immediately went on the attack, showing a significant mean streak. Reigns got fed up and tosses Styles over the announce desk, then started throwing things. He tried to set up Styles for another powerbomb through the table, but Anderson walloped him with a chair to draw the DQ loss for his team.
- The Usos showed up to rescue Reigns from a further beatdown, so Gallows and Anderson cleared them from ringside, then ate some Spears from Reigns. Styles laid out Reigns with an enzuigiri and then tried to hit a Styles Clash on a chair, but Reigns dumped him over the top rope onto the apron. They stared down with the chair on the mat between them. Reigns finally picked the chair up, then dropped it at Styles' feet, telling him to bring it on. Styles kicked the chair back over to Reigns and told him to pick it up. When Reigns went for the chair, Styles springboarded right over him and then took a powder. Reigns' music hit and the two jawed at one another before Reigns held his championship high.
- Zack Ryder takes on Kevin Owens for entry into the Intercontinental Championship Fatal 4-Way Match at Extreme Rules. Ryder gets on a roll, but Owens manages to catch him with the pop-up powerbomb and get the win to keep his spot in the PPV match.
- We get some replays and a recap of Enzo Amore's unfortunate injury from Payback. Renee Young is then joined backstage by Big Cass. Cass says tonight will be the biggest match of his career and he's dedicating it to Enzo. He asks Renee how she's doing. Just like the rest of us, she's smitten.
- The New Day have arrived! The Vaudevillains get a black-and-white "box" interview during New Day's entrance and gyrating. The New Day have some brief confusion about the Vaudevillains' team name and then begin hailing the final Booty-O. Finally, the Dudley Boyz come out for the actual match taking place tonight. The Vaudevillains come to ringside to beat on Xavier, bringing Big E to the rescue and allowing D-Von to hit a lariat for the pin. The Vaudevillains gloat on the ramp as their music plays.
- Main event time! Big Cass headed to the ring to face Jericho, but Jericho was jumped during his ring entrance and his jacket stolen by what was eventually revealed to be Dean Ambrose. Goofy setup, but a fun moment. Sadly, the Big Cass main event was not to be, but it was still a big night for the big man. Jericho screamed in horror as Dean Ambrose destroyed what Jericho claimed to be a $15,000 jacket.
Jericho and Ambrose brawled and Jericho tried to flee with what was left of his jacket, but Big Cass blocked his way. Jericho slapped Cass, which was a bad move. Cass slammed Jericho into the barricade and then rolled him into the ring, where Ambrose was waiting to hit him with a Dirty Deeds. As Jericho laid unconscious, Ambrose pulled out a pair of scissors and finished destroying the jacket, then threw it at Jericho and left as his music played. A JACKET FOR A PLANT, just as Proverbs foretold.
- Stephanie and Shane are watching on a monitor backstage and make the same "jacket for a plant" joke I just thought of. They laugh and say they're glad to be on the same page. Shane leaves to take a call and Stephanie looks at the picture of Shane and Vince that she gave him. She smiles, BUT WITH WHAT MOTIVATION???
- Back to the ring, as Jericho tries to wear his ruined jacket, then calls Ambrose an idiot. All is right with the world.