WWE SmackDown returns to the USA Network this coming Thursday night (April 14, 2016) from San Diego, California but the show was taped, as usual, on Tuesday. That means full spoilers are readily available if you're the impatient type who doesn't want to wait a couple days for the payoff.
Unwrap that present early:
- It should be said right away that this wasn't a full crew as many stars left the country early for the European tour.
- It's also worth noting that Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows showed up to take out a match between some "local athletes" before they taped Main Event. They did shoot the angle, and they cut a promo after saying no one is safe.
- The show opened with Miz TV. Zack Ryder was out to complain about a title shot but he ended up in a match with Baron Corbin instead.
- Corbin def. Ryder in a glorified squash. Post-match, Dolph Ziggler saved Ryder from a beatdown.
- Emma def. Paige in a short match.
- Enzo Amore & Big Cass def. The Ascension to advance to the next round in the number one contender tag team tournament. They'll face The Dudley Boyz next.
- AJ Styles def. Alberto Del Rio with a roll up not long after what appeared to be a messed up spot where he may have hurt his neck. He finished the match.
- The Vaudevillains def. Goldust & R-Truth to advance to the next round in the number one contender tag team tournament. They'll face The Usos next.
- Sami Zayn def. Chris Jericho via disqualification when Kevin Owens, who was out on commentary, got involved. Dean Ambrose was also on commentary and he got involved as well, so the babyfaces cleaned housed.
That's the show. You watching?