WWE SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (Jan. 15, 2015) from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring all the latest build to the upcoming Royal Rumble pay-per-view (PPV) scheduled for later this month in Philadelphia. Plus, Daniel Bryan will finally wrestle again!
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). We will provide results with a live blog below anyway.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
- They had a new open.
- Byron Saxton introduced Daniel Bryan to a hell of an ovation. He came out in his wrestling gear saying he's ready to fight, finally making his return to action. Saxton played footage of the attack from Kane that wrote Bryan off last year. Bryan brought up Team Hell No and said Kane stabbed everyone in the back when he traded his mask in for a suit. Bryan played up his neck injury, saying they don't know what will happen until he wrestles but he'll fight Kane tonight and win. Then, he'll win the Royal Rumble. Then, he'll win the WWE world heavyweight championship at WrestleMania 31. He played to the crowd and let them get in on the fun before The Authority came out.
- Daniel Bryan vs. Kane: Right out of the gate, Bryan went for a dropkick, so the style isn't toning down, it seems. Kane got the advantage right away and started working neckbreakers to target the injury. The crowd chanted for the returning hero while The Authority -- including Big Show -- hung out ringside. They ran through multiple commercial breaks and gave them plenty of time. Instead of a missile dropkick from the top rope, when Bryan was up there he went with a crossbody. Bryan countered a choke slam into the YES! Lock and that's when J&J Security jumped the ring for the disqualification. The Authority attacked from all sides but Bryan escaped unscathed. As he was backing up the ramp and The Authority were acting like they were going to rush him, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns came out to flank him on both sides. Triple H grabbed a mic and booked a six-man tag for the main event. He didn't actually announce who would be in the match, though.
- Byron Saxton was welcomed to the broadcast team ringside, with no explanation for why he replaced Tom Phillips.
- Bray Wyatt showed up for a promo. He said he's the cure, even though society labels him a threat. He can only be contained for so long, though. The poison will seep through the cracks and contaminate everything they hold precious. He said he'll win the Royal Rumble and then it will be too late to run.
- The Usos & Naomi vs. The Miz & Damien Mizdow & Alicia Fox: They worked the comedy spots with Mizdow nice and early as The Usos had full advantage to start. When Miz tagged in Mizdow to the delight of the fans, he never got the chance to get in when Naomi got into the match and Alicia had to climb in to oppose her. The Usos had the match won but Alicia broke up a pinfall attempt and Miz used Mizdow to set up a Skull Crushing Finale to get the pin.
- Renee Young did an interview with Roman Reigns. He said Dean Ambrose is his boy and he has no problems with Daniel Bryan, so he'll team with them tonight to screw with The Authority. At the Royal Rumble, though, Dean and Daniel will have to be thrown over the top like everyone else.
- Paul Heyman was out next. He was pacing and full of piss and vinegar. "I don't mind admitting that for the first time in my career, I am afraid. I'm a scared man." He said Brock Lesnar is a beast and he does what he wants. He does thinks because he can. He beat Undertaker's streak just because he wanted to. He dumped John Cena on his dome 16 times just because he could and he felt like it. "Because it was a Sunday and he had nothing better to do on that evening," Heyman said. But now Brock is pissed and he's going to the Royal Rumble to "F-5 the future straight back into the past". That's a great line. Seth Rollins came out screaming at Heyman that he's not afraid of Lesnar. He said he wanted to cash in the Money in the Bank contract right here and now. Heyman reminded Seth that Brock isn't there because of course he's not. Rollins threatened Heyman while getting really, really close to him in the corner. Like, this was some Heidenreich getting up on Michael Cole nonsense. His reasoning for Curb Stomping Heyman was sound: Doing so would take away Lesnar's brain and at the Royal Rumble he would have to go up against the brawn. Heyman backed him off by saying The Authority could be taken out of power again, and he's gained power every day he's been in WWE since he returned. He talked about manipulating the situation and hinted at aligning with Rollins before bailing out of the ring in a hurry as Seth contemplated his words.
- Nikki Bella vs. Natalya: Brie accompanied her sister while Paige accompanied Natalya. Nikki started with an arm drag and then flexed like she was Hulk Hogan after winning a collar and elbow tie up. Brie tried to distract Natalya, and it actually worked. But it was better for Nattie because it allowed Paige to slap Nikki hard across the face, leading to Natalya locking in the Sharpshooter. That got the tap.
- Renee Young interviewed Big Show. He took over the interview, saying he knocked out the two top stars in WWE on Raw, Roman Reigns and John Cena. He'll knock out everyone in the six man tag tonight too. He declared himself for the Royal Rumble and said he's going to win because no one can throw him out. Kane showed up and said he's in the match, teasing tension.
- Bad News Barrett vs. Sin Cara: This match was set up by Sin Cara scoring an upset win over the champion, earning a shot at the title. Sin Cara got more offense in than you would expect but Barrett caught him with a Bullhammer off a springboard and got the pin to retain the title.
- Dean Ambrose was in some dark area backstage to cut a promo. He said he never got along well with others in school and his report card said he was disruptive. That will serve him well in the Royal Rumble. The end justifies the means. "So don't count me out, count me in!" Then he said his partners tonight both detest The Authority and that's why it will work this evening.
- The Authority vs. Daniel Bryan & Dean Ambrose & Roman Reigns: They gave them almost 20 minutes to work with, which means plenty of wrestling but a lot of commercials. The babyfaces got the offense in early and sent the heels packing before the rule breakers took over to get the heat on to set up the comeback. Bryan was put in the hot tag house afire position and he ran wild in the way only Bryan can. Still, Kane almost got a pin on a choke slam before Roman Reigns made the save. Back in the ring, Bryan put the YES! Lock on Kane but Rollins broke that up. Ambrose showed up to hit a dropkick, take out J&J Security, and then jump into a pile of bodies. This left Kane and Bryan alone in the ring so Bryan could hit THE KNEE THAT BEAT JOHN CENA to score the pinfall win for his team. The crowd ate this up.
- After the match, Triple H came out and said Kane deserves a rematch next week on SmackDown and if Bryan loses, he won't be in the Royal Rumble match.