WWE Friday Night SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (Aug. 22, 2014) from Phoenix, Arizona with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring the fallout show from the SummerSlam pay-per-view (PPV) this past Sunday night in Los Angeles.
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). We will provide results with a live blog below anyway.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
SMACKDOWN RESULTS AND LIVE BLOG
- Randy Orton was out first for a promo. "Just because you've won the battle doesn't mean that you've won the war. One match does not define me, and one match does not define Roman Reigns. I've been called the Legend Killer, the Apex Predator, and The Viper but one thing I've never been called is a loser. All this has done for me is make me that much more focused, and when I'm focused things like this tend to happen." They role tape of Orton hitting the RKO through the table on Reigns last month on Raw. "That, ladies and gentlemen, is the Legend Killer, that is The Viper, that is the Apex Predator, and Roman Reigns will get what he deserves; Roman Reigns will get what's coming to him." Not a bad promo. He turned his attention to Rob Van Dam, who he has a match with tonight. He said he's going to use RVD to make an example to the entire WWE locker room that if you stand in his way, he'll put you away. "I deserve your respect. Now that I have my focus back, I will simply take it from you." Really weird editing at the end of the promo. Sounded like they cut it up.
- Before Orton could even leave, Seth Rollins' music hit and he came out for a match. Randy and Seth shook hands as the latter went back up the ramp and the former came down it to the ring. We're told Rollins will have a match with Jack Swagger but they again cut it up and the editing and was all weird. Then they took a commercial break and when they came back they ran a video on what happened with Rollins and Dean Ambrose at Raw. Said video was roughly five minutes long.
- Seth Rollins vs. Jack Swagger: The commentary team spent this match either talking about the attack on Dean Ambrose and whether Kane was to blame for setting up the cinder blocks or JBL running down Swagger for losing to Rusev at SummerSlam and shaming his country. At one point, Rollins did the Shawn Michaels flip into the corner turnbuckle on an Irish Whip. The finish was Rollins knocking Swagger out on the outside and winning by count out. He was really happy about this result.
- When Rollins left, Bo Dallas came out while Swagger was still down on the mat selling. "Jack, after letting down 318 million Americans by losing to Rusev at SummerSlam, you've gone from being an American hero to being an American zero. BUT, in true patriotic fashion, I'm willing to pick up the pieces of your failure and become the new American sweetheart. I know things seem bleak right now but a great American once said there is nothing to fear but fear itself. And all we have to do is look at fear right in the face and say 'I BOLIEVE!'"
- The Miz was backstage talking to someone on the phone about a latte. Kane showed up and Miz only wanted to talk about another Intercontinental championship match. It's not a rematch to Miz, it's a "sequel". Kane said because he's into sequels, he'll get to go up against Roman Reigns tonight.
- Rusev vs. Sin Cara: They replayed Mark Henry confronting Rusev on Raw before the match started. They also put a "BREAKING NEWS" ticker on the bottom of the screen to announce the Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena Night of Champions match. That match was announced days ago, by the way. Anyway, Sin Cara threatened for all of six seconds before Lana demanded Rusev CRUSH, and he did.
- After the match, Lana grabbed the mic and brought up Vladimir Putin. When she directed attention to the titantron, Mark Henry appeared and said it didn't seem they got the message on Monday. That means it's time to do it again. So he came out and Rusev and Lana bailed when he got to the ring. "Y'ALL ARE ALL TALK. GET YO ASS IN THIS RING!" Lana sent Rusev back while Henry yelled at Rusev for letting a woman hold him back. "I SPEAK FOR MYSELF! Y'ALL ARE ALL TALK!"
- Rob Van Dam was interviewed by Renee Young. She wondered how he's feeling headed into tonight's match with Randy Orton. He said Orton needs to calm the hell down because there's no shame in losing to Roman Reigns. As he was telling Renee that Randy needs to worry about him, Orton attacked from behind. He looked to Renee: "Tell him when he gets up I'll be waiting for him by the ring."
- Rob Van Dam vs. Randy Orton: RVD came hauling ass to the ring and Orton bailed out. The crowd booed the hell out of him and Randy told them to shut up. Then he climbed in to get the match started. It quickly devolved into a brawl on the outside. Orton stopped caring about the match itself and just put a vicious beating on RVD. Orton said to warn Reigns he would be out later in the evening.
- Reigns was interviewed by Renee backstage. She told him about Orton saying he'll see him later. Roman welcomed it. Then he got pissed off about The Authority and what they did to "my boy" Dean Ambrose on Raw. He made clear that he's planning on running through everybody.
- Natalya vs. Paige: I missed the first half of this match because my area had a required weekly emergency broadcast test. When it came back in, Paige was beating on Natalya hitting her big spots, like the headbutts on the mat and the knees through the ropes. AJ Lee came down and took the Divas championship, skipping away with it. Paige chased her down, so AJ put it on the top of the ramp. Paige nearly got counted out but ran in at nine ... right into a Sharpshooter. AJ skipped down to the ring and massaged the Divas title while Paige tapped out.
- Stardust & Goldust vs. The Wyatt Family: JBL and Michael Cole argued over who was weirder here: The guy wearing a sheep mask who follows the buzzards or the two dudes obsessed with gold who paint their face and are searching for the cosmic key. The Wyatt Family was in control for most of the match before Goldust came in late and got a surprise roll up for the pin. After, they did a post-match beat down with Harper chucking a chair at Stardust before Goldust was laid out in the ring.
- Roman Reigns vs. The Miz: Randy Orton came out before the match could get underway. Once it did, he paced around the ring, waiting for an opportunity to strike. You know, because he's a Viper. This also served to give Miz an opening to get some offense in so Reigns could sell and show some vulnerability. Not too much, though, because he just hit a spear from nowhere to get the pin.
- After the match, Orton climbed in the ring and they started brawling. That spilled over to the outside, where Orton went to work on Reigns with a chair. When they went back into the ring, Roman made his comeback and got in a chair shot of his own. He followed that up with a Superman punch and Orton bailed out after that. Reigns' music played the close the show.