WWE Friday Night SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (May 23, 2014) from London, England, with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring the return of Hulk Hogan and all the latest build to the upcoming Payback pay-per-view (PPV) that is now just over one week away.
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). We will provide results with a live blog below anyway.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
SMACKDOWN RESULTS AND LIVE BLOG
- Jimmy Hart was introduced just so he could then introduce Hulk Hogan. He put the fans over. Then he put over Legends' House, saying most of the guys there are his friends, available exclusively on the WWE Network. It's amazing he's saying this to a crowd of people who can't subscribe to the Network legally right now. He didn't give a time when the Network would be available in the country, just that it would be eventually and what would they do when it's running wild and all that.
- They showed the top 10 shows on the Network over the last week. The top three were Main Event, Slam City, and Legends' House.
- Dolph Ziggler vs. Batista was next. They set this up by saying Ziggler demanded a No Disqualification match after what Batista did to him last week. Of note here, "The Animal" came out to "Line in the Sand" instead of PIT OF DANGEEEEEER. The match breaks down into a brawl fairly quickly with both guys taking bumps on the outside. Ziggler really went off here, hitting like 10 chair shots. Then he used his brain back in the ring and tied up Batista's arms in the ropes when he went up top for this 10 punch spot. Points for the little things. Ziggler just beat the dog out of Batista, to the point where they went over the announce table and Michael Cole took a shot. JBL started yelling at him and calling him a panzy, keeping kayfabe despite the fact that Cole was, apparently, legitimately hurt here, or at least there was the possibility of it. The match turned when Batista side-stepped a flying Ziggler and he went off steel steps set up on the outside. Batista threw him back in the ring and hit the Spear to get the pin. He went over clean but Batista just gave Dolph that entire match when he had very little reason to do so. After the match, Big Dave hit a Batista Bomb for good measure.
- Vignette for Bo Dallas. Thankfully, this is the last one before he finally debuts tonight.
- Eva Marie and Nikki Bella were out next. Tony Chimel botched Eva's name so Cole and JBL wondered where Lilian Garcia is. The Funkadactyls were out next to a HUGE pop that was TOTALLY legitimate, promise. After the two teams came out, Summer Rae's music hit and Chimel announced she would be special guest referee. Cole: "There is so much intrigue for this match here tonight." Yeah. Naomi worked her spots early while Summer played the heel referee who wouldn't count for Nikki went she attempted a pin. Once Eva got in, Summer again refused to count a pin, then Cameron rolled Eva up and Summer fast counted her.
- Finally, Bo Dallas debuted. He came out smiling like only he can. He Tebow'd when he got to the stage. Then he did it again in the ring. He's definitely a heel. He cut an inspirational promo and the fans cheered a little and they booed a little but most didn't seem sure how to react. Then again, this is a heavily edited show. Sin Cara came out next as his opponent. Dallas hit an arm drag and freaked out in celebration, saying he was doing so good in his debut and yelling at Sin Cara not to stop Bolieving. The commentary consisted of JBL putting Bo over huge while Cole wondered about how many people have already taken to disliking the guy. Sin Cara was in control for enough of the match that JBL said he would stop Bolieving if Dallas didn't turn things around. Ultimately, he did, winning with a bulldog off the ropes. So I guess he's using Trish Stratus' old finish. After he won, he shook Sin Cara's hand and told him to "keep trying. Don't give up. Don't stop Bolieving. Maybe one day you can be like me."
- Bray Wyatt cut a promo. He talked about evil existing in the world and being very real. And then John Cena showed up to tell everyone everything is going to be okay. He called Cena a monster for lying to the children, and he thinks he's been put here to get rid of the monster. Wyatt called Cenation a plague that has infected our world. He talked about Cena recruiting The Usos to ride into battle in front of him so Cena can sit behind them with the appearance of fighting valiantly but never actually getting his crown dirty. The promo turned quickly and Wyatt started speaking in tongues and freaking out. Just as quickly, he sang and the crowd sang with him.
- Cesaro and Paul Heyman were out on commentary for the next match, Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus in a straight singles, non-title bout. Cesaro punked Sheamus again when he said he would shake his hand this time and Del Rio attacked from behind to start the match. Meanwhile, Heyman was steady dogging Cole on commentary, as was JBL. At one point during the match, Adam Rose's music was chanted by the crowd, which was odd because absolutely nothing prompted it from what I could tell. It died quickly. Sheamus and Del Rio have worked together a million times, so the match was pretty good. Late in the match, Cesaro interfered and that led to a disqualification. Cesaro hit the Neutralizer on Sheamus on the mat on the outside. Cesaro finally did shake Sheamus' hand, but it was after he was laid out and Cesaro was just swinging around a lifeless arm.
- Vickie Guerrero was in the ring getting heat for just standing there. She said the people only know one side of her. She's intelligent and has a big personality and is straight up gorgeous. But she can party all the time too. Then she introduced Adam Rose. JBL was killing Rose for the "stupid Bunny and the stupid lollipop". Cole put over how cool Rose is, which is the worst thing they could do if they want fans to like this guy. Vickie welcomed him to SmackDown. Then she tried to leave and he stopped her. He worked his catchphrases with the crowd, then asked Vickie if she's a lemon or a Rosebud. Then he polled the crowd and they responded unfavorably, so she told him he needed to leave her ring. He proceeded to stick his lollipop in her face and she almost fell off the apron. Seeing this, Rose laughed then put the lollipop back in her face, forcing her to fall off and into the arms of the Rosebuds. They carried her around the ring while she was kicking and screaming and demanding they put her down. They completely ignored her cries. That segment was kind of uncomfortable.
- Renee Young interviewed The Usos. Jimmy put over Adam Rose and his awesome fun party that just happened. You mean the one where they forced a women to crowd surf while she screamed for them to put her down? John Cena came in shortly into the interview and started talking gibberish. The Usos pointed this out and Cena said it was what The Wyatt Family does. They just speak words but actions speak louder. Then they beat their chests and hummed again and that was that.
- Main event was next, The Usos vs. Luke Harper & Erick Rowan. The match was fine for what it was but nothing special. Chaos, as usual, then a tease of Bray Wyatt and John Cena squaring off with Bray backing down while Cena's music played to close the show.