WWE Friday Night SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (Oct. 10, 2014) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring all the latest build to the upcoming Hell in a Cell pay-per-view (PPV) scheduled for later this month in Dallas.
It's also the big 15th Anniversary Special!
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). We will provide results with a live blog below anyway.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
- Stephanie McMahon was introduced as the first ever General Manager of SmackDown. She started by reminding everyone both that The Rock coined the phrase "SmackDown" and was beaten by her husband, Triple H. She mentioned "people" and Johnny Laurinaitis made his return to television. A "People Power" chant broke out. Stephanie took a shot at him for being stupid and he totally missed it. Teddy Long then made his return and JBL absolutely FREAKED out, getting up and doing the dance before greeting Teddy on the ring steps. Long and Laurinaitis went back-and-forth. Laurinaitis tried to book a tag team match. Teddy countered with a six-man tag. So Johnny went with a 10-man. Long went insane and proposed a 15-man tag. "A 15-man tag team match? That's not possible, playa," Johnny responded. Teddy brought up Tito Santana and everyone was confused, including Stephanie. So she stepped in and set up a Team Teddy vs. Team Johnny tag match and the winner gets to call himself the greatest General Manager of all time.
- Before everyone could finish their business, Adam Rose and his band of idiots came out to interrupt the proceedings. Rose wished SmackDown a happy birthday and said it was time to party. Rose told "Stephie" not to be a lemon and to be a Rosebud. She agreed that it is party time and booked him in a match with Kane. That shut up Rose and all his idiots. She called for Rose's music to hit and Stephanie danced all around while Rose and his idiots looked on with sad faces.
- Adam Rose vs. Kane: "I'm not a cheeseburger, I'm not a lemon, and I'm certainly not a Rosebud. From time to time I'm a demon but tonight I'm a party pooper." That was the promo from Kane as he walked down to the ring. Rose tried his usual antics but Kane just choke slammed him, pinned him, and left. After the match, the Rosebuds checked on Rose and Kane decided to get in the ring and clear them out. They set up for a stand off with The Bunny, who was over as hell with the crowd. Members of Rose's entourage all sacrificed themselves so The Bunny could escape.
- AJ Lee vs. Alicia Fox: Paige was ringside for this clutching the Divas title. She wasn't on commentary, just leaning against the desk. Fox was in control for almost the entire match until AJ reversed a backbreaker into the Black Widow. Paige immediately jumped in to attack but AJ got the better of the two and bailed out. They cut this up so much you could see the editing. Ugly.
- Seth Rollins vs. Kofi Kingston: Jamie Noble and Joey Mercury were out with Rollins, and the commentary team told us that's because he needed extra protection seeing as both Dean Ambrose and John Cena were in the building for the show. The story of this match was Seth just beating the hell out of Kofi, who would occasionally threaten offense. It never went anywhere, of course, and Rollins won after the corner powerbomb and Curb Stomp.
- Rusev vs. Dolph Ziggler: The big brute threw the Intercontinental champion all around the ring. We were told he was taking his frustrations out on Dolph after what The Rock did on Raw. Ziggler finally took control and hit the Fameasser. Lana freaked out over how close Rusev was to getting pinned, which, as Michael Cole, told us, would have been his first pinfall loss. Ziggler missed a Superkick when they got back up, Rusev delivered one of his own, and it wasn't long after that he got the tap with the Accolade.
- They stuck around after for a promo. Lana brought up Philadelphia being the birthplace of America and how it explains why the country never had a chance to succeed. She went on to bring up Rock, called him a coward, then went into speaking Russian because she was so upset. Rusev got the mic: "THE ROCK WILL PAY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES, AND BIG SHOW, YOU GARBAGE AMERICAN, YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS TOO. I CHALLENGE YOU, BIG SHOW, FOR A MATCH AT MONDAY NIGHT RAW. BIG SHOW, YOU WILL BE CRUSHED."
- They ran the video of The Rock meeting with Triple H and Stephanie after Raw. Triple H was telling Stephanie "if he says one wrong thing" before Rock came in. They started talking about the very first SmackDown main event. Triple H put over that he won in the middle of the ring. Rock brought up that he cheated with help from Shawn Michaels. Then said he hit the Rock Bottom the week after. Triple H claimed he misremembered and it was Road Dogg, and he was the one who came in and took care of business. Rock brought up main eventing another WrestleMania and they argued over who would win the match. Things got tense. Then they played comedy. This was legitimately great. Finally, Stephanie McMahon came in and played mom in the situation while the two argued like children.
- When they cut to the commentary team, JBL had a SmackDown cake. Naturally, they ribbed Tom Phillips and put the cake in his face. Then they brought out Booker T, who got a decent little pop, so he could do commentary.
- Team Teddy (The Usos, Los Matadores, Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Sheamus) vs. Team Johnny (Slater Gator, Goldust, Stardust, Bo Dallas, Cesaro, Damien Mizdow): It felt like this match went on forever and seeing as it featured 16 wrestlers, it was exactly what you would expect. A lot of energy on the apron to offset what was going on in the ring. They did a few big spots, like Sheamus going down the line and alternating the forearms through the ropes spot on Cesaro, Stardust, and Slater. Finally, the action broke down and everyone went nuts hitting spots. Dallas again got the advantage on Henry but ate a Brogue Kick right after. That led to Cesaro coming in and bringing back the Giant Swing for, you guessed it, 15 rotations. One of the Usos broke it up with a superkick. That left Damien Mizdow to get tagged in and he was OVER with this crowd. The finish was Jey Uso (I think) coming off the top for the splash on Mizdow to get the pin.
- Main event was next: Miz TV with guests John Cena and Dean Ambrose. Miz announced that Cena vs. Ambrose at Hell in a Cell will be a NO HOLDS BARRED CONTRACT ON A POLE match. Then he brought out both guys. When Cena came out, he went into the crowd and hugged a Make-A-Wish kid. He was roundly booed before that, and that ended real quick after he went into the crowd. Miz asked Ambrose why he left Cena flat on Raw. Ambrose said he wanted Cena to know that nobody crosses him, no matter who they are or what they've done or what they think they're entitled to. He went on to say that Rollins was his brother and he stabbed him in the back and he can't live with himself until he sets that right. Cena is trying to steal that and he doesn't take kindly to people stealing from him. Cena brought up that people in the back are impressed by Ambrose but scared because he's unstable. Then he proceeded to do that thing he does where he goes about convincing us Dean is just like him. He broke out two baseballs and said WWE has been looking for someone with that and good lord, this was bad. Miz antagonized the two and said they were ruining his show. So they beat him up. Cena set up Miz for the AA but tossed him to Ambrose, who hit the double arm DDT. Then he hit Ambrose with the AA. They showed Rollins watching a TV laughing.